Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Wanted for my XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Advice Wanted for my XJ Reply with quote

Time to upgrade the brake lines on Zilla Mr. Green Also might install an SYE too? Was wondering what most XJ owners went with???

Brake Lines
Looking at 5 Layer Custom Brake lines by Crown Industrial or Stainless Steel Brake lines by Rubicon Express?

SYE
If you had to do over? The Hack & tap? Or spend the extra and get a new output shaft??

Any pros and cons would be great too, also the degree of install, pain in the but or no problem, you can do it!! rofl rofl
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done two hack & taps. They are much less expensive...but a PITA. You need to cut the output shaft, drill a hole dead center on it, then tap threads so that you can bolt on the flange (hence why it's called hack & tap). There's no room for error. However, if done correctly there is nothing wrong with the finished product...it's a good SYE.

I ended up going with an Advance Adapters conversion and Tom Woods driveshaft. While it costs a little more, the good thing about it is that you are opening the case and can inspect / replace anything that is worn. Also, in my opinion, a full tailshaft conversion is MUCH easier to do than a hack & tap.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
I've done two hack & taps. They are much less expensive...but a PITA. You need to cut the output shaft, drill a hole dead center on it, then tap threads so that you can bolt on the flange (hence why it's called hack & tap). There's no room for error. However, if done correctly there is nothing wrong with the finished product...it's a good SYE.

I ended up going with an Advance Adapters conversion and Tom Woods driveshaft. While it costs a little more, the good thing about it is that you are opening the case and can inspect / replace anything that is worn. Also, in my opinion, a full tailshaft conversion is MUCH easier to do than a hack & tap.

Cool and thanks thumbs Where did you buy your SYE??
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: My experience with Hack and Tap Reply with quote

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9274&highlight=hack

Steve's trick of placing it in Reverse, start it and let it idle to revolve the output shaft in correct direction and the use cutting wheel to cut it as straight and square (and right length) as possible helped a lot! Accuracy counts a lot here!

My issues were mostly with broken drill bit lodged in output shaft coupled with issue with the oil seal.

If would have PLENTY of drill bits couple of extra taps readily available.

Start SMALL, get it straight, and then gradually enlarge the hole to the appropriate size then tap it with liberal amounts of cutting oil, backing out the tap to clear very often.

Advantage is Hack&Tap can be installed without removing xfer case.

Our instructions (mine is older XJ - 92) were VAGUE about Oil Seal and failed to state accurately which direction drive shaft bolts were to be installed. Search here about my ongoing issues (have since all been resolved thank goodness).

If I had it all to do again because of my difficulties, I think I'd go with a replacement output shaft kit BUT the hack and tap is not a BAD kit!

I think my continuing issues with oil seal was due to 1st one being installed incorrectly (vague instructions) and it scarring the mating surface of stainless steel piece. Eventually I cleaned it up with Emory cloth and seems to have permanently corrected the problem.

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, would any one mind helping me do a SYE kit? rofl rofl

Would rather have some one experienced around to help Wink

Thanks for the link Wink

Quadratec sells the AA for $269.99
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52237_99_07.htm

Or I guess this one? To many choices rofl
Quote:
"ehirner"
Since you drove the vehicle with driveline problems and probably pooched the seal and output bearing, and possibly bent the output shaft as well, my suggestion would be to forget the Hack and Tap entirely and get yourself a HD SYE. Performance Offroad Center sells their in-house brand HD 231 SYE for $185 shipped (www.performanceoffroadcenter.com). This isn't much more than the H&T considering the significant upgrade you'll get. Even better would be the SuperShorty HD SYE from JB Conversions. It is more than 3" shorter than other conventional HD SYEs which equates to a driveshaft more than 3" longer and even better driveline angles.

Well after reading instruction sheets and looking at pics the AA is the same as Rubicon Express and the pics are just like Performance offroad Centers?? Wonder if they just get a better deal on them?

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Tom Woods. They'll ask you some questions about what you have and then tell you exactly what to measure. Based on that information, they'll send you an SYE kit and custom driveshaft. I got mine from them and wouldn't go anywhere else. Everything fit like a glove.

As far as help...you'll be surprised how easy it is. It took me about 6 hours to do it by myself and I was taking my time. That included dropping the tcase, doing the conversion and then reinstalling it and the new driveshaft.

The tailshaft conversion complete:

Tcase reinstalled with the driveshaft:

Driveshaft to the axle

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bro thumbs Like the link, sounds a lot easier just buying from them Mr. Green

Any advice for brake lines??
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with some type of braided steel lines.

Quote:
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
I would go with some type of braided steel lines.

Ok thanks thumbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: