Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting too hot!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
v dub krazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: getting too hot!!! Reply with quote

hey when i got my jeep it had the 190-199degree thermostat in it and it would get to about 210 all the time and when i would turn the motor off go inside for like 10-20 mins and come out it would start up and almost sound like it wasn't running on all 6 cyliders or miss firing and popping and stuff and i noticed the temp was over 210. so i changed it to a 180-189 degree thermostat and it runs a about 190degrees and when i'm in a drive through or at a stop light it goes right back up to 210 and does the same thing when i turn it off that it did before? i mean it even have a heavy duty radiator. should i go to an even cooler thermostat or what should i do? thanks, dustin

Last edited by v dub krazy on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flush the coolant, make sure your shroud is still intact for the fan, and i would pressure wash the radiator, lots of bugs and stuff will get stuck in there and make it harder to cool things down.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok , the thermostat only controls minimum temperature , it does absolutely nothing and i mean nothing for maximum temperature .

does your electric fan work ? put on the ac and see if you fan turns on . when was the last time you changed coolant . does your viscous clutch fan work ? shrouds missing ? lights in front of the rad ?

could be all plugged up with scale , if i remember right 1/4" of scale is = 3" of iron for thermal conductivity . basically if the inside of the rad and engine are covered in build up then it wont cool well .

belt tension correct ? hows the water pump ?
v dub krazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. i have a winch up from u think that might be causing it? i mean all the fans and stuff work and the radiator is barely a year old. it sucks when i'm on trails and we stop for a break and the jeep starts running shitty until it cools down. anything u sugust to help this promblem?
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as the winch isnt 1/3 the way up the grille i dont think it would bother it. If you have been trail driving I would just suggest trying to clean up your engine compartment, including all parts that get heated (block, manifold, intake, and radiator). most of the time with riding trails youll hit a puddle and mud particles will settle in the fins of your radiator, no biggie, just pressure wash the radiator after you ride trails. If that all doesn't work stop at your local parts shop and pick up a bottle of Water Wetter.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
v dub krazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys, its a 2000 jeep but the motor is gettin old anyways it has 206,000 miles on it and it runs like new but now is when i'm gonna be expecting problems.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

high performance aftermarket fan perhaps , get a tranny cooler if you have an automatic .

high flow thermostat housing . there is actually a write up on this site on cooling the jeep down .

cowl induction hood or cut outs in the hood . http://www.quadratec.com/products/55023_003_T.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: