Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

revolver shackles...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
v dub krazy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: revolver shackles... Reply with quote

should i use revolver shackles???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hard question to answer. Here's a link that describes 'em in detail, in addition to installing them...

NOTE: A LOT of things come into play when considering them. First off, the articulation is wicked cool BUT you have to keep in mind the driveshaft, leaf packs, length of brake lines, length of SHOCKS, etc..., otherwise you'll flex yourself out to death (pulled brake lines, driveshaft binding, leaf pack warping/axle-wrap, sprung shocks, etc...). The first two questions to ask yourself is what do you already have, and where do you want to be in a few years considering ride height and suspension mods.

I would suggest rear swaybar removal, stronger leaf packs, longer shocks, and longer braided steel brake lines first (if you don't already have them). Then flex out the rear, taking into account where the axle is in relation to the rear bumpstops (bumpstop plates are also recommended, either fabbed or bought. DPG Offroad makes real nice ones...). If you think you'd benefit from revolvers, then go ahead and buy 'em then. I would NOT recommend putting them on a stock setup since any or all of the above mentioned problems can occur.

I did some research on these in the past, and those that have had problems with them were ones that generally had soft leaf packs in the rear, which when flexing around caused the packs to pull themselves apart. Strong leaf packs, long offroad shocks with good mounts at the top (BPE's - Bar Pin Eliminators - are nice here as well...), and longer brake lines will allow for room to flex out the rear nicely, with rear fender removal for more tire stuffing (not a lot of metal back there for trimming tho).

Other caveats:

1: Be aware you might want to reinforce the hanger mount where the shackle bolts up. I read a few instances where constant tension in that area can cause the metal in the hanger mount to crack and pull apart. (FRAME FATIGUE)

2: Reports of the shackles opening up and/or closing at oddball moments when off-camber or going downhill (possibly rumor, but not unexpected). Possibly dangerous, DEFINITELY unsettling when it happens.

3: Extremely difficult to replace a rear flat tire. The shackles want to flex out when you apply lift to the frame to take weight off the flat. Currently, people strap up the shackle so that it doesn't do this when jacking it up, but it is a hassle.

4: ...and the aforementioned "axle wrap" with soft springs.

I myself am going to wait until I decide to take the beast off the highway, lift it up to 5.5" or more, get bigger tires, and pop in a good SYE. Then having revolvers would be more of a benefit when climbing rocks. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest complaint with the revolver shackles is that they seem to amplify axle wrap, which means spinning your tires can be a deadly affair to your rear drive train (driveshaft u-joints and the like). If you are going to use these, I strongly suggest also adding a rear anti-wrap bar. This way you can achieve the flex without the worry. This is a link to a guy who made some home-brew anti-wrap bars. Scary welding, but they look effective. There are also a few companies that make them.

Even still, these are not something someone interested in JeepSpeed or getting air at the dunes should be considering. These should be reserved for people who do their crazy driving at slow speeds on the rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would look into all your options before dedicating money into the revolver shackles. Do some research on "boomerang" shackles also. revolver shackles shouldn't be used on something you use for basic offroading like brad said, they're made for low speed rock dominating. we had revolver shackles all around on our samuri, and indeed it did crawl pretty well, it didnt feel safe on the road, it may have been but it didnt feel like it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: