Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

squeeking normal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: squeeking normal? Reply with quote

when i start the car i have a squeeking noise that is loud then goes away after the car starts to idle. but when in neutral, it is a constant noise. It is not to loud but you can hear it particularly outside the car. im pretty sure its just a belt but how much do i tighten it or should i replace it?

P.S. any pointers for winterizing my car? i go to school in Burlington VT and as of right now its about 10 degrees at 10 am?!?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally most garages winterizing program simply consists of a basic tune up, oil change, battery check, all fluids changed, and make sure you use 50/50 coolant so it doesn't freeze. At least thats what it is a NTB and they charge you like $150 for it. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Michigan this is what they did to the work trucks...
1. Run a couple of tanks with a bottle of "gas dryer" which is supposed to clear your lines of any condensation. Don't know if it worked... but the trucks always started unless the battery was shot.
2. Change the oil with a thinner viscocity
3. Replace the blue stuff in the washer fluid with the green stuff that had a much lower freeze rate
4. Check fluid level and charge of batteries
5. Get them oiled (rust preventative)
6. Switch the tires to a more snow orientated tread
7. Replace windshield wipers
8. And most important, make sure the coolant was 50/50
9. Stock each truck with a decent ice scraper

So that's my advice as a native Californian who only went to school and worked a couple years in Michigan. Some of the others on this forum who live in bastardly cold states might have better advice, or be able to tell you which is the most critical.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure if i would run methyl hydrate through your fuel system (the water evaporator for gas) it's not recommended in the manual to run it because it could take out the seals on the injectors etc. if you do run it try and burn that tank of gas away and don't let it sit for a week .

i ran it and was fine , just because i had a bottle and was like what the hell .

main thing is to check the freezing point of the coolant and condition . electrolyte levels if applicable and specific gravity of the acid again if applicable , if its maintenance free then if the little sight glass is green your good .

could also change oil to a 5w30 or synthetics all around .

this is just what im saying , personally i live were its minimum 0 max -30 in the winter . i will only use my block heater below -15 and only for an hour or two before i go to my vehicle , im still running 10w30 because i don't feel like changing it and i changed coolant with my rad a few months ago .ran methyle hydrate through my tank and cleaned my throttle body .

i did these things because i was bored not because i care about my engine .

buy a new belt if its been squeaking then its glazed and toast . when you tighten it , it shouldn't move more than your thumbs width . there are actual tools to measure it but you don't own one .

if you tighten to much you wreck all your bearings , to loose you wreck the belt . if your unsure leave it loose and if it squeaks shut it off right away and tighten it , still squeaks then do it again .

it probably wont squeak right when you put it on but will the next day . adjuster is located at the bottom of the power steering pump .
2wd lame-o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: frigid Reply with quote

to speed up the mourning warm up I used to throw a t-shirt or cover over the grill while it was running and i cleaned of the snow and frost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: