Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rebuilt XJ 96 L6 4.0 ENGINE, Leaking again!!! AVOIDABLE?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lckyl16

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Rebuilt XJ 96 L6 4.0 ENGINE, Leaking again!!! AVOIDABLE? Reply with quote

HI, I RECENTLY REBUILT THE HEAD ON MY JEEP. IT WAS LEAKING A LOT BEFORE. NOW AFTER ABOUT 6 MONTHS, IT LEAKS AGAIN (BUT BARELY) AFTER THE OVER-HAUL. DO ALL XJ'S LEAK IN THE HEAD GASKET AREA? IS THAT AVOIDABLE? J/W IF ANYONE KNOWS.

-------------P.S. I HAD A GOOD MECHANIC DO THE JOB FOR ME.....SO I KNOW IT WAS DONE RIGHT.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have ran three 4.0 L engines in jeep cherokee's . 300 000 kms , 300 000 miles and 178 000 kms .

never had a problem with any of the engines , the 300 000 kms and the 300 000 miles one are pretty worn down but still run fine .

why did the head gasket go originally ? i am assuming the head warped , perhaps now it has cracked . was it machined properly thats not the mechanic its the machinist that does that , was the head x-rayed or any thing ? did he buy new head bolts ?

pull the head off and figure out what happened ,then get the block checked , probably decked and get the head checked , i would just replace it .

some thing is wrong , they don't blow this often . are you seeing excessive heat ?
lckyl16

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actualy my jeep runs at around 150-180 F. i got the jeep used 2 yrs ago and it a long story but when i got it, it might of been a bused a little. not sure. i had the head checked out and stuff when i had it done, its weird. i'll live.

thanks
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably owned by a previous idiot who never did maintenance , ran low on coolant or something and messed the head up . or its a flaw in the cast .

i would just buy a new head or a new engine .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: