Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shifter rod sheered off?!?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Shifter rod sheered off?!?! Reply with quote

Went to pick up my baby from the shop today (she needed a new clutch which took them four days to put in, but that is another story) and shift to leave the parking lot and the knob goes flying across the cab. Seems the mechanic sheered it off trying to get it off and then they decided to putty it and see if that would work (nevermind telling me they broke something pissed pissed pissed pissed ). Well, it did not work. shock shock So now they want to weld the knob back on the shaft. Will that even work or will it look like CRAP!!!! Right now I am beyond mad. Needless to say this is the last they work on one of my vehicles.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's enough metal sticking out of the knob, it may be weldable, but will probably melt the knob.
mattj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sheered the knob off at the bottom of the collar. And it (the knob) unthreads from the collar just fine. The collar rusted/ frozen to the threaded shaft. So, theoretically they could weld it back together without screwing up the knob. I just really am ticked the broke it and did not say anything. Then they tried to fix it without telling me on the cheap. And now they still want to fix it cheaply to themselves rather than procuring a new (used) shaft from the junk yard and replacing it correctly.
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm assuming a tj from your screen name - did they just try to unscrew the knob? you have to pop out the plastic ring with the shift pattern printed on it. under there is where you'll find the nut that they were supposed to unscrew with a deep well socket in order to remove the shifter knob. if they are skilled welders, hard to judge by their past behavior, then it is possible to reweld the threaded section back to the top of the shifter. it would then need to be cleaned up in order to slide the knob back over it. rather, i'd have them just order a new shifter lever from the dealer and be done with it. no worries over it breaking clean off again...and then steer clear of them!

dealer part numbers

Gearshift lever
AX5 or AX15 - 5207 8576
NV2550 - 52109 726AB
NV3550 - 52078 576AC

nut
AX5, AX15, NV2550, or NV3550 - 6502 556
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: