Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

usable parts from a 93 country 4.0 ho to a 89 ltd 4.0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: usable parts from a 93 country 4.0 ho to a 89 ltd 4.0 Reply with quote

Hello,New here. I have a 89 limited with the 4.0 and select-trac, I also have my daughters beat 1/2 to death 93 country 4.0 h.o questions are can I use any engine parts, such as intake or any other parts that might help my std 4.0 perform better would i have to take the computer too? my cat. suddenly started sounding like a jack hammer could i use the 93 on my 89. see the 93 country has a nasty knock and blown t-case well just shot. how about the radiator my 89 is a closed system and the 93 is an open system, what all am i looking at to get it to work in my 89 ? any other parts that any of you think i should strip for my xj ? I already need to get the pw motors and lock actuators, im also changing the locks so it will all be one key, how do i pop the ignition switch out? when i got my 89 it seemed to run good but now i have a hard time to get it to idle without dying, what could be suddenly causing this could it be becouse of the catalytic conveter "knocking" I know i just threw a bunch of stuf at ya but i must get the 93 out of here (neighbors) thanks in advance, lyle
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Answer to 2 Questions Reply with quote

From Sticky XJ Tech Writeups from above
CONVERTING CLOSED COOLING SYSTEM TO OPEN
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/12_dec/radiator/radiator.html
I have other write-ups if wanted. I have a 88 that has not been converted yet.

Read this on Intake-Exhaust Manifolds Swapping
Past Post From Jeep Horizon Feb 07
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10907&highlight=intakeexhaust+manifolds+swapping
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rads are easy , i would leave the manifolds , your 89 manifold is better then the 93's because it doesn't break at the welds .

i have a 89 with 92 everything , and i mean everything . if you went through the trouble with the manifold and wiring harness and computer then you might as well take the head off and get it redone and put it on your 89 .

your not going to see a drastic improvement .
lyle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: usable parts. Reply with quote

what is the real difference between a non h.o and a h.o ? Brad did the head line up correctly, will it screw any thing up to the rest of the stock block ? my cataletic converter just started to sound like a happy jack hammer, do you think it is possable to use the 93 cat on my 89 and could this be what has suddenly caused me to have a hard time to get it to idle, it had a major valve cover oil leak and i degreased and washed the engine however after i washed it and degreesed every thing it ran good till the next day then it wants to try to idle about 400rpm. sorry for being such a sh*t head.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naa your not being a shit head , did you use a pressure washer ? don't ever use a pressure washer .

i would pop the distributor cap off and check for condensation . also you can clean out the throttle body , pay special attention to the sensor attached to the side of the throttle body , not the one on the opposite side of the throttle cable the one on the side (IAC)

the head is bolt up , but you will probably have to put on the exhaust manifold and intake manifold to go with it because the ports on the head are lower . look at the sensors on the two machines and see if the plugs are the same , if they are i would just swap over the intake manifold and throttle body , you will also have to swap over the fuel lines because they have different fittings .

you can swap the hole computer if you want its a bit more work but you should be able to leave the interior wiring alone and just swap the engine harness , the connector to the fuse box is a real pain in the ass , two bolts directly through it . it takes a while to get apart .

you are only looking at a few hp here , but if you do it . i would take the head to a machine shop and get a valve job done and new head bolts (they stretch when you torque them down so they can not be re-used) head gasket and intake manifold /exhaust manifold gasket for the valve cover best bet is to use a good bead of RTV silicone )

also take the intake manifold to a rad shop and get them to dunk it in the creasote tank to get the grime out of it . shouldn't be more then a couple bucks .

if the valve cover gasket blew perhaps the vents on top are plugged , pop them off and clean them out with a wire or paper clip .

is there a pipe off your cat on the 93 ? like a little pipe aside from the main exhaust pipe or a sensor in it . if there isn't then just swap the bastard over .

if you don't have to go through emissions test then pull yours out and knock the guts out with a pipe and your jeep will automatically sound way cooler and you don't have to worry about a plugged up catty ever again .

hope that helps some , anything not clear just say . i personally type confusingly .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: