Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

underpowered

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with fox on the free flowing exhaust. I just had everything replaced but the exaust manifold(waiting for $)...new downpipe to the cat-converter to remove the crimp from factory tubing, new cat-converter, new flowmaster delta 40 muffler. I can definatley notice more torque in lower RPMs. But I also notice a little more power and less downshifting on interstate hills(Flint Hills). Total expense...$350. But if your cat is good, unlike mine, then no need to replace it. I would recommend that and a free flowing intake to go with it.
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with throttle body spacers, they're snakeoil. No "tornadic thrust-slammin'" spacer is going to matter if the airflow IN the TB is already restricted. Replacement or add-on computer chips are in the same boat. They're a waste of money, and you net zero benefits compared to other mods that work more definitively.

With K&N, it's not too bad, but it is expensive for what you're trying to do. If you decide to go completely cold air intake, i.e. SNORKEL, then unless you sell your K&N used you won't get anything back on it.

Also important is opening up your airflow at both ends of the engine, going in and coming out. With that said, a good muffler, a good aftermarket cat or one that lets you shift the baffles inside for straight passthru (or a hollowed out one, unless the laws for emissions in your state restrict that sort of thing), new headers (or at the very least, clean them out...), a conical airfilter of some type, AND boring out your throttle body to 60mm or above, will go a long way to improving airflow and engine power. Also, replacing your thermostat with a cooler one, like say 195deg. or so, will definitely help in addition to everythign else mentioned here. Cooler running engine = better performance.

Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my 2.5 cherokee all I did was hollow the cat, throw a glasspack on it and sort of construct my own intake with exhaust tubing RTV'd to the throttle body. The power comes at about 3800 instead of 5200 now and according to a dyno in my auto class I went from stock (115hp @ 5200RPM) to (127 @ 4800RPM) and the torque curve was a little more consistant over stock. It's amazing what good air flow and a less restrictive exhaust can do for a motor. I do agree though that K&N filters are not always the way to go. I used a generic cone filter from Advance Auto Parts which was about $25, and it seems to keep more gunk out of my throttle body than the K&N did, but the K&N was the rectangle OEM fit style, so that could make a big difference. Other than that you could look into getting your cylinder head machined/ported/polished for more flow, most shops will port and polish a single head for less than $200.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iblack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it turns out now that i have some more options that i can pick from. Maybe ill take a few of them first and try them out like the air intake or the boring process. Well see how it goes and at some point ill write back and let you all know how it went.

Thanks

Iblack
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: