Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

radiator I need help with this

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: radiator I need help with this Reply with quote

I have a 1990 XJ and i am trying to put water back in the radiator.I guess it is called a closed system radiator. I have a water resivoir on the passanger side up by the firewall. It is not sucking the water back into the radiator. Feel free to call me fi you would like .(602)323-6875
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fill that sucker up , you might need a new rad cap to . any pressure in the coolant lines hold on to them and try and squish them and rev the engine .
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah the famous closed system. If the overflow isnt filling back into the radiator, take the upper hose off of the radiator and pour coolant directly into the radiator (with a funnel), it's a pain but its the only way to do it if the overflow isnt working well. Most of the time it will take a little more than a gallon of coolant. I have never owned/maintained an inline 6 cherokee, but my 4 banger cherokee takes a gallon and a quart or so. After you fill the radiator up quite a bit, reconnect the upper hose and run the motor for about 5 mins, shut it down and add what remains in the 1 gallon jug. If your unsure on how much your radiator holds it should be in the owners manual.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daniel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fro the info guys! Ill be doingit in the am and hopfully get it going
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say do a pressure test, but you can't on a closed system. I have an open system on mine and it doesn't pull water from the tank either and it's because I have a small leak at the thermostat housing. Instead of the vacuum sucking in water it just sucks in air through the leak. So, check for a leak. Hope this helps.
daniel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it all donr this moring! What a pain in the ass this was pissed Got it thru emissions and am back on the road Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: