Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep Noob- 99 Cherokee Classic turn signal issues...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Jeep Noob- 99 Cherokee Classic turn signal issues... Reply with quote

Hello everybody. I just got my first car a couple weeks ago, and I was lucky enough to get a 99 Cherokee Classic. Its nothing too fancy, but its a pretty solid vehicle.

I was told a couple days ago by a friend who was following me to school that when I turned right onto the highway, both turn signals flashed. When I turned left into the parking lot, the left signal worked fine. Once I came home, I took a look and found that when I turn on my right turn signal, both the left AND right signal flashes. When I turn on the left signal, only the left flashes. This only happens with the rear signals; the front works fine. I took off the inside panels on both sides in the back and checked the wiring. Everything is still stock, with the addition of a trailer light connector. I took that off and I still have the problem. Any suggestions? All help will be appreciated!
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your Cherokee is a 97+ version, I'm pretty sure the problem is your turn signal "automatic-off" switch inside the steering column. The whole blinker stick and switch is one unit, and has to be replaced as such. This is typical of what happened to my 1998 Cherokee, and a few others on this forum as well. I think it's typical of 97+ Cherokees in general. Check out this post from a year or two ago about similar symptoms... Rear tailights flash as hazards on left turn, while the front signals are fine. http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?=&p=63082
dancerman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your switch is bad. This is a common problem. I had to replace mine a couple years ago. You may be able to repair it but I think replace is faster and a sure fix. I'm sure the are other threads on this if you search the forum.
Mauzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks guys. Ill be doing some work on it this weekend when I have some help. Ill try to repair first, but it doesn't look like the whole switch unit at Autozone or O'Reilly is too expensive.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a good idea to check and make sure the correct bulbs are in the lights. Too many times I have seen people stick whatever will fit in the socket and then the lights don't work properly. Stuff like putting a single filament bulb in a dual filament socket can short the 2 pins together. Just something to check.....

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Mauzy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched out the switch units today and everything works as it should. Now I just need to tackle the idiotically rusty tow hitch...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: