Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'86 Pioneer, A Few Questions -

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: '86 Pioneer, A Few Questions - Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions regarding my new vehicle, 1986 Cherokee Pioneer.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4249/crw4424qh4.jpg (Right Side)
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7797/crw4423sl3.jpg (Front View)
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5987/crw4430gu7.jpg (Engine)
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7449/crw4422kd1.jpg (Left Side)

If any one can help me out with these answers that would be great.

Thank you!

#1. What makes it a "Pioneer" rather than just a normal Cherokee?
ANSWERED - Just the trim...

#2. What transmission do I have?
ANSWERED - Aisin AX5

#3. What rear end do I have, normal Dana 35?
ANSWERED - Yes, D35.

#4. What can I do to the GM 2.8L V6 to get more power?
ANSWERED - Live with it.

#5. Any advise for getting that small dent out of the driver door?

#6. Best brands for an inexpensive 3" lift?

#7. Can I later use the same lift on a newer XJ, probably '90 - '96?
ANSWERED - Yep...

#8. Best brands for good but inexpensive winch mount bumper?
ANSWERED - Built it yourself.

#9. Good roof rack brands?
ANSWERED - Build it.

#10. Best brands for new clutch?
ANSWERED - Centerforce

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

By the way, I have read and nearly memorized all of the stock specifications for all XJ's posted at the top of this forum but there isn't anything specifically about "Pioneers" and I'm not sure if that even makes a difference. Anyway, if I could have some of those questions answered that would be fantastic. Thanks again.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Hallam on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '86 Pioneer, A Few Questions - Reply with quote

Tim Hallam wrote:

#4. What can I do to the GM 2.8L V6 to get more power?

#5. Any advise for getting that small dent out of the driver door?

#6. Best brands for an inexpensive 3" lift?

#7. Can I later use the same lift on a newer XJ, probably '90 - '96?

#10. Best brands for new clutch?

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Tim

Answer to #4. Trying to get power out of a 2.8 is almost pointless, with all the money you'd spend trying to get power out of it, you'd be able to do a complete swap to a 4.0.

Answer to #5. Pull the door card off, make sure the window is all the way up and if you can get a rubber mallet to contact the inside of the dent you can tap it out, other than that I'm a fan of drilling a hole through the center of the dent, threading a bolt through it with a chain link and pulling the dent out, but you'd have to bondo the hole and repaint.

Answer to #6. 3" of lift really is accomplishable just by swapping some parts from other vehicles. Go to a local junkyard and look for some V8 Grand Cherokee Coils, find an early 90's Dakota or S-10 and use the entire leaf packs from them (including the main spring, just cut the eyes off and add the whole pack to your XJ main spring), get the rear rubber brake lines from the same Grand Cherokee you got the coils from, and you may need a 1-2" coil spacer depending on how good the coils are. This swap is normally good for 3-5" of lift depending on the year and model of the donor vehicles and your own.

Answer to #7. The lift above is universal for all XJ's

Answer to #10. CENTERFORCE, there is no better clutch for the price, bottom line.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want more power and are going to do an engine swap don't put in a 4.0 , get something cool like a h.o 5.0 ford .
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Brad The Best) Reply:

- I looked into the Ford 5.0 a little bit. Its not only out of my budget but I also don't intend to drop a ton of money into this Jeep. I just want it in good, reliable, running order.
I'd rather just keep saving, then buy a 1990-1996 4.0 HO XJ when I have the money.

(Toliver09) Reply:

- Thanks a lot for the Grand Cherokee springs idea... I live one mile from a wrecking yard. I'll go check things out. Centerforce, huh? Ok... I'll check them out. Also, thanks for asnwering the other questions. I appreciate it.

Tim
Toliver09

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i said on a topic you started earlier on this month, same deal as the 2.5, the 2.8 will get you around, but thats about it. Don't plan on being able to make it into a recovery vehicle, and don't plan on much rock crawling, low displacement motors are definately not known for their low end torque required to do some of the more haggard stuff. Trail driving and some dunes won't be too much problem. You can upgrade the carb from the rochester to a weber or something of that sorts, exhaust upgrades add some power, maybe a higher power ignition system, other than that you'll pretty much be stuck with the unsatisfactory weak motor they put in the earlier Jeeps. Don't be fooled though, I'm not going to try to say that my little 2.5 is a powerhouse, but it has been enough to help friends out of binds on more than a few occasions.

Cheap ways to get power:
Upgrade to a high flow filter
(Illegal but helps) Remove the packing from the cat converter or scrap it and get the money for it and use a higher performance muffler (I run a glasspack, I may put my jeep in action on a video, im not sure yet)

Other things to consider:
New heads
Headers
Using parts from your existing motor to swap in a camaro/firebird 3.4L V6, message me for a site on that kind of swap.

There are a lot of things to factor in really, it just all depends on what you plan to do.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really a 5.0 from a wrecker isn't a whole lot more then a 4.0 from a wrecker .

put in the straight 6 if you want . have you ever driven a jeep with a 4.0 there not that fantastic , millage is around what you get out of a larger v8 but the power sure isn't equal.

i just want to see some one put a 5.0 in a jeep thats all .hahaha .
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a straight pipe were my cat used to be , didn't add any power to the jeep .

it really just sounds cooler , i only did it cuz there to expensive and mine plugged up .

how ever when i had a ford with a 5.0 h.o and gutted the cats well that must of freed up 15-20 hp .

personally i wouldn't swap in an engine unless it was something cool , the 2.8 has lots of power in 4lo . when you need the grunt off road then shift the t-case down . simple

push the dent out with a broom handle if its big enough , other wise its pretty much a hammer and dolly . probably best to leave it .
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About swapping in a straight six. I read somewhere that this was not easy on the pre-'87 models. Seems Jeep engineers had to make some body modifications to make it fit. Just my 2 cents.

--
Regards,
Kári
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Thanks for the comments about the engines and thanks for the other comments/advise, etc...

I'll update you guys once anything new happens with the Jeep... Just need to get a new clutch in it for now.

Tim
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah,

"Brad The Best" I have driven Jeeps with 4.0's I've found that the 4.0 automatics are indeed rather sluggish on the road. However, my friend has a '99 with a 4.0 HO 5 speed manual. He has an air filter upgrade and a few other small modifications. That Jeep really hauls ass! I haven't seen it at its best in 4- (he's a city boy) but in 2-H it really moves. I was impress with the power it had in 4-H.

Tim
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: LIFT INSTALLATION WRITEUPS Reply with quote

Goes with information from Toliver9
Look at #2
LIFT INSTALLATION WRITEUPS
From Jeep XJ Cherokee Tech
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/suspension/liftbasics.html
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1759
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1904
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/xj_ome_tflx/
http://fm2cd.com/97XJ/xj_budget_boost.htm
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, no idea on what makes it a "Pioneer"?
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the research ive done just says that the pioneer had a couple more creature comforts added.
Krash69

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pioneer is just the trim level its like GT or SE. Pioneer is the middle trim level there is the base level, the pioneer and the chief. So to put it simply its just the middle level trim package
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Haha... I guess I could have figured that one out.

So, nothing special about it exept for the weak engine, huh? Oh well...

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: