Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

knock sensor????????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: knock sensor???????? Reply with quote

i have a 90 cherokee 4.0 can the knock sensor make my jeep have problems idling and stalling?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe slight chance but I would guess TPS first! (Does it also display Auto transmission shifting issues?

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean the IAC, it's simple and easy to do! If it doesn't help, at least you'll know it's clean!
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (yesterday) had the same thing. I cleaned the IAC (was VERY dirty)and I am sure cleaning the IAC didn't hurt. but that didn't correct my problems, replacing the TPS did fix everything.

1992 XJ Laredo
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok are you ready for this? these are all the things i have tride

tps
map sensor
knock sensor
the computer
fuel presure regulater
idle motor
o2 sensor
cleaning fuel injectors

i think that is it if you have any other ideas i would be so greatfull i am about to give up Sad
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is IAC?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAC is the Idle Air Controller - same as Idle Motor I am pretty sure. Have you suspected fuel pump/filter?

I am guessing it has to be either fuel or air and it sounds as if you have changed both IAC and TPS so I would look into replacing or testing fuel pump and of course the fuel filter is always a suspect?

Please do let us know what you determine?

1992 XJ Laredo
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have replaced the fuel filter but not the pump. ok figure this out do you know how the tps has to harnesses one gose to the computer and the other goes to the tranny well if i disconect the one that gose to the tcomputer but not the tranny it runs great??????
kaos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is ... interesting Shocked . In fact, so interesting that I would be inclined to replace the TPS again, especially if you can beg or borrow a loaner part somewhere. That the car runs *worse* with it connected suggests to me that the part must be bad.

--
Regards,
Kári
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok my TPS (92 - non-adjustable) ONLY has one connector on it and it has 3 wires.

Yours a 1990 - is an adjustable-type TPS right? I think it is supposed to be adjusted for 0.8vdc (talking off top of my head, but think I remember that spec right ?) Dis you adjust it after installation?

That would explain why it runs good when you remove computer input?

Check out this writeup http://tinyurl.com/2md8a5

Hope it helps!

1992 XJ Laredo
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Did You Adjust Your (TPS) after installation Reply with quote

Did You Adjust Your (TPS) after installation
[MPIS] Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
Test and Adjust By Jeep Garage Free
http://jeepgarage.free.fr/OWN/fuel%20injection%20system%20multipoint.pdf

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
TPS is regulated by movement of throttle shaft. It is mounted on throttle body and senses angle of throttle blade opening.
A voltage signal of up to 5 volts at wide-open throttle is produced by TPS. Voltage varies with throttle angle changes. This signal is transmitted to ECU where it is used to adjust air/fuel ratio during acceleration, deceleration, idle, and wide-open throttle conditions.
A dual TPS is used on models with automatic transmissions.

This dual TPS not only provides ECU with input voltages but also supplies automatic transmission control unit with input signals relative to throttle position.

1) Turn ignition on. Check throttle position sensor input voltage. Connect voltmeter negative lead to terminal "B" (M/T), or terminal "D" (A/T) of sensor connector. Connect voltmeter positive lead to terminal "A" (M/T and A/T) of sensor connector.

NOTE: On (A/T) models, connector terminals are identified by letters molded into back of connector. On all models, do not disconnect TPS harness connector. Insert voltmeter test leads through back of wire harness connector. On some models, it may be necessary to remove throttle body from intake manifold to gain access to sensor wire harness.

2) Move and close throttle plate completely (M/T and A/T).
Ensure throttle linkage contacts stop. Note voltmeter reading. Input voltage at terminals "B" and "A" (M/T), or terminals "A" and "D"
(A/T) should be 5 volts.

3) Return throttle plate to closed throttle position (M/T and A/T). Check sensor output voltage. To do so, disconnect voltmeter positive lead from terminal "A" and connect it to terminal "C" (M/T), or terminal "B" (A/T).

4) Maintain throttle plate in closed position (M/T and A/T).
Ensure throttle linkage contacts stop. Note voltmeter reading. Output voltage should be .8 volt (M/T), or 4.2 volts (A/T).

5) If output voltage is incorrect, loosen bottom sensor retaining screw and pivot sensor in adjustment slot for a coarse adjustment. Loosen top sensor retaining screw for fine adjustments. Tighten screws after adjustment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: