Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is there any conversion kits for throttle body?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: is there any conversion kits for throttle body? Reply with quote

ok i am the one having all the trouble with my 1990 xj automatic 4 wheel drive 4.0. it wont idle right and it keeps stalling i have tride replacing everthing i can think of ( tps, idler motor, map sensor, o2 senser, knock, sensor, fuel pressure regulater....) so i was thinking is there any way to convert it over to carburetor??? or something else that i could do that might help me out? thanks for any advice!!!!
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm...

That is the craziest question anyone has ever asked this forum as long as I have been reading it. I thought you were going to ask something like "can I convert from a pre-90 throttle body to the 91+ H.O. style.

I would never, ever switch from a multi port fuel injection system to a carberator, if it is even possible. I doubt that without being a custom engine fabricator this would ever work. That doesn't even take into consideration the smog and C.A.R.B. issues you'd have to deal with. I guess there is some way you could fit an old 4.2L intake and carb off of some AMC on there and tell the ECM to take a hike. They are similar, but that doesn't mean they are a direct bolt up. I don't really know, but I'm guessing since there are kits to do the opposite... turn a carb 4.2L into a multi-port fuel injection system.

That being said, if most of your throttle body being new, there could still be many, many other things that could cause rough idle and stalling...

Clogged or malfunctioning injectors, bad crank position sensor, bad spark plugs, bad cap and rotor, clogged fuel filter, and ECM going bad, etc. And that's just off the top of my head without much thought.

Sorry about being sarcastic, but to really help you out, we need more detailed information on the exact symptoms.
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ok you r right that would be kinda stuped but after the day i had with my jeep today i wished that had a older more simple jeep. that being said i have done most of what you said but with out any luck however i did diconect one of the harnesses to the tps and and now it is running great so i guess i am just going to leave it be. oh anbd it is a new tps i bought it today. so i liked the idea of changing to a newer fuel injection system is that posable? and how hard and expencive is it?????? oh and thanks tons for all your help i really am greatfull
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you adjusted your TPS?

I am pretty sure on your year that you have to adjust it for 0.8 VDC output when Throttle plate completely closed. It gets 5.0 VDC input and outputs a scaled voltage telling computer and transmission what position throttle plate is at.

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i ajusted it but it still runs like crap when it is plugged in and runs great when its not. so for now i am just going to leave ittell i can take it to my buddy who is a mechanic. thanks again for all your help! oh one more thing jppiolt where did you get those rims i think they r bad ass
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS

Goodyear MTR 32 x 11.50R15 Tires
Cragar Series 352 Black Simulated Bead lock Steel Wheels

I can't remember exactly where I ordered from

The simulated bead lock rim does make it difficult to get at the tire stems for airing up though! Airing down is ok because I use a set of STAUN Tire Deflators. http://www.staunproducts.com/benefits.php

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: