Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Falling oil pressure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Falling oil pressure Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I'm pretty sure I've heard of this problem before but I can't seem to find the article.

If I accelerate quickly or under heavy load (uphill) my oil pressure takes a nose-dive. The car has never stalled, but I'm sure if I push it it will. I recently replaced my oil pressure sending unit after it broke and sprayed oil all over the parking lot. I refilled the engine with oil after replacing the part, but I think I put in too much, or is there a much more serious problem with my engine.

Thanks for your help in advance.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get your oil level right first . pressure drops when you rev it up , well it goes up and then at point it will go down .

how low is it ?
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so today I did an oil change and when I drained the oil, I swear there was like 8 quarts in there, it almost filled my 9qt. container. I'll post again in a couple days to let you know if anything's changed.

thanks for the help already.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takes just under 6 litres .
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so it's been 2 days since I replaced the oil and made sure to get the right quantity. The falls in oil pressure has reduced some, but is still there while accelerating through first and sometimes second gear.

It's more predictable while accelerating quickly, going uphill, or for some reason, while turning left.

I haven't changed the oil filter in a while, but I don't know that that could be causing this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated

Also, once moving the pressure returns to around 40psi and stays there until i come to a stop and accelerate again.

Thanks for the replies.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the filter , if you have a choice between changing oil and the filter change the filter always .

like every oil change .

how many kms do you have , your oil pressure will drop at higher rpm's . i wouldn't worry about it . your engine is just a little worn . also don't always believe the gauge you have to put a master gage on to really tell what the pressure is .
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I finally had time to change the damn oil filter and for the time being it seems to have worked to fix my problem. Although now I think the oil pressure is just a little bit high (50psi). Is this normal or should I tweak something?

BTW, thanks Brad, you know your stuff.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. 50psi sounds fine.

CHANGE YOUR OIL FILTER EVERYTIME YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL! It's only $3.00.

Tim
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i know, I usually do, but I've just been ungodly lazy recently. I posted back in october about a trip to Michigan, and I haven't changed the oil since I went up there (at the very least 6000 miles ago). Hence the problems.

When I pulled the old filter out it felt like it was filled with lead shot and I could see the dirt pouring out.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a couple days since replacing the filter and while the engine is warm everything is fine. However, while the engine is cold and warming up the pressure guage is still freaking out, but with no pattern that I can see, although it doesn't seem to dip while accelerating, sometimes just the opposite.

Should I be getting worried, is there something else that I can check. I also had another theory, could this fluxuation with a cold engine be affected by installing the oil pressure guage too tight and blocking the passage?

Thanks for the help guys.
88xjSUPERJEEP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in your sig...
"-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me."

I'd say keeping up with your oil changes is #1 on the list!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the filter again , again its 3.00$ don't get a fram go buy a wix or donaldson . i really like wix filters .

you can always cut your filter apart just take a hack saw to the bottom lip (there is actually a special tool but w.e) and see how much metal is inside .

if you were seeing mud , i would almost do another oil change . it took me about 4 oil changes to get the crud out of my engine when i first got it .

way more important to change your oil filter then your oil . when the filter plugs it will actually by-pass and you will see higher pressure .

if you still see high pressure then you have a blocked passage or spun bearing (i really doubt you spun a bearing, in fact i don't even know why i brought it up )

again the sending unit could be messed up , there is also a good voltage drop to your gages so it will probably read low .

your next step in finding out the problem is to go buy a master gage that screws in were your sending unit goes . the master gage doesn't lie , however the 5 electrical connections , lights ,rubbed wires and dirt between the sending unit and the gauge is a different story .

or just change your oil and filter and stop looking at the gage . thats what i do , my oil pressure changes all the time , i just don't look at it . no problems with the engine , put on a master gage and it was pretty normal

you don't need insanely high oil pressure , the oil thins out when the engine heats up its pretty normal .

if you have to much oil the crank will slosh it around and aerate it messing with the pressure , escpesially because there is no baffle in a jeep . low oil and the pump could suck it dry .
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have found the problem. After looking at the sending unit again, I noticed that the connection where the unit meets the harness is loose. The new sending unit plug is slightly too large for the harness plug so it wiggles. I fiddled with it and re-seated the connection, drove for a while, and didn't see the pressure changes that I have been. I saw the pressure drop a little at idle, and move back to 45psi while moving.

I think I will check the connection and duct-tape it into place rather than spend another $30 on a new sensor.

Thanks for all the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: