Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new (to me) 1994 XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: My new (to me) 1994 XJ Reply with quote

I got a 1994 XJ today for free. A co-worker said his wife told him to get it out of the garage, so he told me to come pick it up. It's a 2 door, 2wd, 4.0 with 5 speed manual. I had to tow it home because it won't fire up. Any ideas as to why? I pushed in the bleeder on the fuel rail with the fuel pump primed and nothing came out. It's a piece, but I think it has potential. The engine has been swapped, because it has a Renix throttle body.

djgrayxj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note Plastic Pressure Bottle on Left Side of firewall from your photo.
Your engine must be 87-91 vintage.
Pre '92 XJ Radiator Conversion from closed loop to open loop.
From Jeep at Off-Road.com Nov 1, 2005
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257864
Older Cherokee's with 4.0-liter engines ('87-'91) have the factory closed radiator system that can be less then useful or easy to maintain. It's often a hassle to fill the radiator and the plastic pressure bottle constantly develops leaks.

From Sticky: XJ Stock Specification
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=953&sid=97fab9f5c960c02227b957d7759ee524
4.0L Engines
87-90 used the 4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech" - 177 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4000 rpm.
91-95 used the 4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO" (High Output) - 190 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm.

From Jeep Horizon Post
By Code3TJ Mar, 06, 2008
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13684&highlight=chrysler+vin
Decode only JEEP codes (from 1981 and later)!
Click on this web sigh and enter your VIN number to verify year of your Jeep, Ruling out a possible front-end parts change out.
http://jeep.avtograd.ru/VIN/vin_en.asp

Regarding your fuel problem you stated [I pushed in the bleeder on the fuel rail with the fuel pump primed and nothing came out.] If you heard the fuel pump run when you turned the ignition switch to the on position, I would look under your vehicle for the fuel filter, probable location is driver side, below rear seating area, in front of fuel tank, mounted to the chassis in fuel line. Remove fuel filter, attach a rubber hose to tank side of fuel line place other end into a container. Turn ignition to on position and note amount of fuel output. A good fuel pump will deliver at least one liter [or 2.113376418865 pints] of fuel per minute I think and the priming cycle is approximately 3 seconds long. Post results of this test. If fuel output is good replace filter, if not I would replace filter anyway this good cheap preventive maintenance.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. We pulled the fuel pump and tested it. We had to clean it out but we finally got it to spin up, and now we have fuel pressure. We tried starting it but now we have a problem with the ignition coil, and with all of the hacked wiring that has been done to this Jeep we have no idea where to start.
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you invest a lot of TIME in making this Jeep operational. I would check with your States vehicle registration regulations regarding engines swapping. Some States require same year or newer engine swap only. If this is your case you might be better of selling of the parts.
The head, intake and exhaust manifold, plus the ECU are different for starters plus the coolant system difference. A visual plus equipment check is going to trigger a mismatch even if the Jeep is running grate I would think.
The '87-'90 engines had Renix electronic multipoint fuel injection, electronic ignition, a single 51mm (2.0") throttle body, and a rather inefficient low port cylinder head.
In 1991 engines received Chrysler sequential MPFI, a larger 60mm throttle body, revised intake and exhaust manifolds, and a more efficient high port cylinder head. As a result, these engines produced 13hp more than their predecessors and gained the "High Output" designation.
If you are still good-to-go post a reply for further assistance. You might check want check this web sight it has a lot of good reference material no mater, which way you go.
http://jeepgarage.free.fr/ownersmanual.html
Hope this will be of some help, good luck from DJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: