Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1997 Cherokee 4x4 Axle problems?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rohan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: 1997 Cherokee 4x4 Axle problems? Reply with quote

I have a 97 Cherokee with 140K miles. It has a pretty loud humming sound which I guess I kind of had gotten used to through the years. I recently took it to a quick lube place and they checked the oil on the front and rear differential and told me that I had to replace the differentials/axles, that this was the reason for the humming noise. They told me they don't do this repair so I'm kind of guessing they wouldn't be bull****ing me. Any thoughts? Or can the differentials be rebuilt? What would be a reasonable cost for this kind of repair? Thanks in advance!
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be your differential gears or the bearings, or both. I don't think the axle shafts would be the problem. If the noise is constant whether you are accelerating, decelerating or driving at a constant speed, it's more likely a bearing or two. If it is louder under acceleration that deceleration, or vice versa, it's more likely to be the gears.

But that's all beside the point since that noise is usually a sign that something is wrong in the differential, so it would be best to take it to a shop that works of diffs and have them diagnos the problem. If you don't, the little metal pieces from the one going bad could cause it all to go bad.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it actually could be the axle shafts but only because the bearings are bernealing them , in which case you get offset bearings .

best thing to do is to pop the diff cover and check the gears out , if they check out its bearings probably .

did they find massive amounts of metal in the differentials ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: