Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trac-Loc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceman153

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Trac-Loc Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I've got a 97 XJ and i'm pretty sure the clutch disks in the trac-loc are worn out. When i get the rear end in the air and turn one of the wheels, the other one doesn't move. i do hear a faint scraping noise for about 1/4 of the rotation, for each turn of the wheel. I guess that could be a bearing, not necessarily in the diff, going to take the diff cover off soon and have a look.

My question is, what damage can be caused by not replacing the disks? I'd imagine if they wear thin enough you might get some play in the side gears, and when you combine that with Towing a 3,000LB boat could the gears potentially slip?

Thanks!
iceman153

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update : I pulled off my diff cover last night, and to my surprise the S-Spring is completely missing... with the back in the air, i would see the side gears move around a little when rotating the wheel forwards/backwards. I also noticed a little play in the Pinion shaft which is obviously what's been stopping the pinion gears from moving out of position. Miny center section looks pretty much like the one here :

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech006.htm

Just without the S-Spring... I've had the jeep for 1 year, and by the looks of the diff oil it hasn't been changed for at least 3 years, probably longer. Meaning the spring must have been missing for at least that long and i don't see any signs of bad wear. I'm thinking the spring not being there is why my track loc isn't working, and hoping that it's not going to cause me any problems by not having the spring there... Anyone know why my spring is missing? Could it cause problems?

Thanks!!
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my $0.02...

If it can be replaced, its probably better to fix it even if it isn't necessarily causing any apparent damage at the moment.

I'm not an expert with your problem though.

Tim
iceman153

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was just a matter of popping the spring in there I would do it, but the work needed to pop the spring in is the same as the work for replacing the friction disks and gears... May as well just do a full overhaul, so IF this isn't going to cause any problems in the near future i might as well just leave it
and check on it once each year to make sure it's not about to go...

Was hoping someone with some experience in the area could add another $0.02 Smile Thanks for responding though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: