Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird electrical problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Weird electrical problem Reply with quote

So when my Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited is cold and been sitting for at least 6 hours it runs like a champ (gauges are perfect) as long as you don't turn it off and then on again. However, if you go out and do some errands turning on and off the engine that's when it starts acting weird. The voltage gauge gets lower and lower each time you start the car. It never goes into the red but it gets low. Turn on any accessory like the heater or especially the rear defroster and the voltage gauge really drops and starts to fluctuate up and down a bit. The part that worries me is when the car is warm and you start the Jeep and put it in reverse the rpms drop, the voltages drop and it feels like it is going to die. It does that for about 2 seconds and it goes back to normal. Also after the Jeep has been turned on and off and on when driving at a constant speed the Jeep chugs slightly. My wife and I both noticed that.

I took it to AutoZone and Jeep and they said everything checked out just fine. In the past 6 months I've replaced the battery, spark plugs, caps, rotors, and the ignition coil. Actually when this all started happening and just before Christmas I was driving on the freeway at 70 mph and there was a big loud boom sound with sparks that came out the back of the Jeep. The ignition coil exploded.

Any ideas on what could be the problem could be? Thank you!
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have your alternator checked out. Make sure it is providing the correct voltage. I would start there.
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second having the alternator tested!
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know AutoZone did a charging system test, starter test, and battery test. So I'm guessing that included the alternator. Or do I need to take out the alternator and have it tested that way? I'm not sure what exactly Jeep checked but they were going to test and check the whole charging system so I assume that included the alternator.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take it out and have Autozone test it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: