Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Crunch When Turning Hard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Weird Crunch When Turning Hard Reply with quote

I have a weird crunch, or short grating sound, when I am turning and I hit a whoop... like when you pull into a driveway approach quickly. It only happens when I'm turning. If I hit a whoop/bump going straight, it's fine. It also only happens if I go kind of fast.

I have visually inspected all the bushings and connections in the suspension. The tie-rod is as solid as can be. Likewise with the steering. The motor mounts are brand new and I have an electric fan. I do have a 1.75" econo-lift, but have had it for 3 years and this is the first time I'm hearing it.

I also have a True-trac in the front, which has only been in since October. Could it be this is freaking out when I am applying power around a corner and hit a large bump?

If that's not it I'm at a loss. Any ideas would be welcome.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be the True-trac. While it's not quite the same thing, when I had the Powetrax in the front, it would make a loud clunk under the same conditions.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a moron.

I just installed a new Banks header a couple of weeks ago because my stock one had cracked. I noticed a tiny bit of this grinding sound occuring afterwards, but very rarely. Then I had a new head pipe constructed to take care of the factory restriction, and even though I've read about it a million times, had totally forgotten about the fact that the front driveshaft hits this pipe when the axle moves around... thus the grinding/crunching sound.

I wish I could have gotten the Borla system because theirs addresses this issue, but they don't have C.A.R.B. exemption past 1995 (stupid CA), so I went with the Banks header and had the muffler shop make the head pipe.

If anyone has seen any websites that talk about how to have a non-restrictive head pipe that doesn't hit the driveshaft, please post the link.

Also, I only have the 1.75" lift. If it was lifted more like 3" and had better bump stops, would that take care of it?
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im am so glad this topic got posted!!! I just had my head pipe replaced for the factory restriction reason as well, since I have noticed a grinding/knocking noise coming from what sounded like the transfer case. I went out after reading this post and looked at the pipe where it gets closest to the front driveshaft...sure enough it has scrapes and dings and the zerk on the shaft is hitting the exaust also...wish i would have done more research before hand. any help for DavidXJ and I would be great Smile!!!
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to the muffler shop and had them adjust the head pipe so it is as close to the oil pan as possilbe. Before it was half way between the pan and the driveshaft. In its new location it no longer rubs during street driving. I haven't gone 4wheeling yet, but I'll post a reply if it does rub. I put some pictures on this link...
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13619
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm my exhaust just hits the leaf springs and the trailer hitch it makes a really annoying noise when sitting in drive at a stop light .
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stock tailpipe did that too... a couple 2x4s, a jack, a breaker bar and a sledge hammer... problem solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: