Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

88 cherokee 4.0 throttle body spacer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
88xjSUPERJEEP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: 88 cherokee 4.0 throttle body spacer Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I just bought a stock 88 Cherokee Limited with 143,000 miles in cherry condition with only a few minor flaws due to age (rear power doorlocks, cooling system and other common flaws) for only $1500!!! My first upgrade was 30 x 9.5 inch mudders... a DECENT inexpensive tire, but a Pep Boys nightmare that I will comment on in the wheels n tires forum, haha! Anyone ever install a throttle body spacer on an 88 4.0? Ever install one on ANY 4.0? I am considering this for my second upgrade because it seems to be an inexpensive and effective upgrade. I would like to hear other opinions. Power increase? Gas savings? Any difference? This is a daily driver, not a trail rig, YET (haha!) THANKS!
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a throttle body spacer on my '98 4.0L because it was free and took like 5 min. I don't know if it did anything. I don't notice any difference. Oh, but I do have some extra hissing noises when I accelerate, so that's a bonus. Seriously, unless it's free, I don't think it's going to be worth the money. Besides, there are not many companies that make spacers for the pre '91 4.0Ls. I do know of one if you still care.
88xjSUPERJEEP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a little research, and found mostly negative responses that it does nothing to improve performance, but a good friend who knows a little about performance said that upgrading your ignition system to high performance (platnum +4 plugs, MSD coil and points, etc.) and adding an upgraded air intake, will make the throttle body spacer a benefit, but only if these other mods are done with it. (makes alot of sense to me!) I tend to think that if increasing the volume by boaring the TB works, then increasing the volume with a TB spacer should work too, as long as the other mods are performed too. Anyone have any other first hand experience?
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your friend is right, but even after all the mods are done the gain is not really worth the money involved in a tb spacer. A 60+mm throttle body will gain you quite a boost but unless you run a turbo or a supercharger I don't see the spacer doing a whole lot even if you put 200 into the ignition.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
88xjSUPERJEEP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am planning an upgrade to Pertronics Igniter ignition with a high end coil, Champion Iridium plugs, Champion Truck Wires, and a cold air intake. After doing this, I will try to form a benchmark, then put the spacer on (Rusty's sells one for the 88 for only $69) and I'll give you guys a review of the TB spacer.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont get a throttle body spacer go buy a intake manifold and throttle body off a wrecker from a 2000+ 4.0
88xjSUPERJEEP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a direct bolt on? I know the spacer is only $69, and not hard to install... How hard would it be to convert to a 2000+ manifold/TB?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: