Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V6 to V8 Engine Swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
june

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: V6 to V8 Engine Swap Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I am new to the Jeep scene so please be patient and understand that I am just getting to know my Jeep better. I have had my 1995 Jeep Cherokee Laredo for over 5 years now. It was a family vehicle but we not have an Avalance and the Jeep is just sitting in the drive way because it has a ton of miles on it. Before I go get a newly built long block, I wanted to know if anyone know if someone has ever done a v6 to v8 swap in a 1995 Laredo. I would like to have V8 to tow my motorcycles around and other stuff. I am aware that the 4.0L Straight 6 is a stout motor, but I would like a little more punch. If you guys know of someone who has done this, please let me know. Take care.

June
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone has done it but I dont remember who...

Its been while and I am not sure where I even saw it..

It cant be that hard.. you will need a new tranny and ECU to go with the new engine ..But I think the wiring should all be the same..

Just plug up .. (But I could be wrong.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much to add here, but Grands were available with V8's. So Swampy is correct...as long as you get a motor tranny combo that was available for the Grand, you should be able to drop it in, bolt it up, install the ECU and plug everything in with little to no fabrication.

I'll defer to someone who has actually done a V8 swap in a Grand though. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
june

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch guys. This gives me something to go off of. But what about the 4.0 straight 6. Being that you guys have more knowledge than I, can you tell me if it is decent enough to pull a 16' trailer with 2 bikes on it without wearing the motor down? I did some pricing around and a long block straight 6 is about $1300. That to me isn't bad. My father-in-law is an excellent mechanic so dropping in a new motor would be a breeze. But it is something about having that V8 that I like. If I am not mistaken though, the V8 that came in the Grand Cherokees is 4.3L right? So maybe the 6 is better which leaves more room in the engine bay and really not that much less displacement. Being the car nut that I am, I once was reading my Car Craft subscription and saw where a guy built some old Plymoth and opted to put in a hopped up 4.0 straight 6 out of a Cherokee in the car instead of a conventional Mopar V8 build. What can you guys tell me about that? What kind of aftermarket performance support is available for the Straight 6? And, that tranny, can it be beefed up to handle pulling better? Any knowledge is helpful to me. Let me know your honest opinions. Take care.

June
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a straight six 4.0 that is pretty worn down .i haul around dirt bikes all the time it doesn't really notice it .

no way would i ever swap this engine in though , 318 magnum is the way to go .

aftermarket support for the 4.0 is basically
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/jeep_off-road.html
http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?catID=7533
http://505performance.com/Our_Turbo_System.html

there is a lot of cheaper 4.0 performance out there .

put a cooler on the transmission and you should be fine . towing gears like a 4.10 should help with power also .

again i would go with the 5.2L 318 v8 found in jeep grand cherokee's dodge 1500 , dodge dakota or dodge darango . my friends grand had a dakota 318 in it .
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow a 4X8 trailer with 2 dirtbikes on it and a 6x12 enclosed trailer that I fill with work tools ..I tow it all over with my Montero Sport. It has a 3.5 ltr. 6.. The 4.0 has much more torque (in stock form) than my 3.5 and I have no trouble at all...

(PS My Monty is not stock.... I cant leave anything alone... rofl )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya the 4.0 doesn't really have a problem with a small trailer at all , quads dirt bikes what ever . the tongue weight will put you out before the engine stops pulling .

i worked on a grand that pulled such a big boat she snapped the axle in her dana 44 a , never off road just pulling the boat .
EYESIC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: 4.0 Reply with quote

I love the 4.0 is very powerfull, dont underestimate it. i pulled an international scout 2 with my 4.0 for 50 miles i had no problem now i dont see why you couldnt tow some bikes.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a 1992 XJ with the 4.0L HO motor and I couldnt be happier with it. It hauls the hornet (on a 21' fully hydraulic tilt trailer) with no problems what-so-ever. I think going to a v8 would just be a waste when the inline 6 is as or more reliable than a v8, and since you already have a 4.0 there you could get it bored .030 over and rebuild as stock or you could stroke it out to out-perform any stock v8 on the road and get better mileage.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: