Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Locker Choices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopher383

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Locker Choices Reply with quote

I have the stock front and rear axels in my '00 XJ Sport. I want to put lockers in it but ARB is way too expensive for my blood. What is a good quality locker with out costing an arm and a leg, and can anybody tell me what axels I have?
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.californiajeeper.com/axle.htm

Found under the "Tech" section. Wink

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front axle is a D30...most likely a low pinion with standard cut gears.

The rear axle is either a D35 or a Chrysler 8.25. They look very similar, but the 8.25 has a flat lip on the bottom. The pics below illustrate it (8.25 is on the left, D35 is on the right):

As far as lockers, if you want something selectable, you are talking full case...meaning you will have to have the gears setup as well, which adds to the cost. An inexpensive option is a lunchbox style locker. They replace the spider gears and thus do not require a ring and pinion setup. All lunch boxes will make some type of noise on the street when turning...but some are quieter than others. I ran a Powertrax for a couple of years and it was pretty quiet...but I had it in the front axle. My wifes Jeep currently has a Detroit EZ Locker in the rear axle and it makes a ratcheting noise when turning.

In addition, lunchboxes are automatic...meaning you have no control when it locks. Just something else to consider.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edit] Phantom had already answered this but I, like a 6th grader, didn't read through everything before I replied. Maybe it will help anyway [/Edit]

Unfortunately, you most likely have a low pinion Dana 30 in the front. I think they switched from a high pinion Dana 30 to a low pinion Dana 30 in 1999. For the rear axle you have either a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 or a Dana 35.

It will be hard to tell the difference to the untrained eye because they have awfully similar covers. Here is a picture of the Chrysler 8.25 (27 spline off a 1995... but from the outside looks identical to the 29 spline off my 1998). I don't have a picture of a Dana 35 to post, but maybe someone else has a Cherokee with this axle to take a picture of.

Axle Identification.
http://www.4wheelnoffroad.com/axle.html#Chrysler
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: