Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Freezer Plugs"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: "Freezer Plugs" Reply with quote

I'm currently in the process of changing the head on my buddies 87 4runner. I removed the exhaust manifold and it looks like there is a bit of seepage around the freeze plugs. So my buddy goes to get new plugs, they didn't have them. The guy at the counter asked him if he knows why they are called freeze plugs. Of course my buddy doesn't know. The guy tells him, very proudly, that they're called freeze plugs because you have to freeze them before installing. Then he states that nobody ever knows that and he loves to tell customers all the time. What a tool that guy is! Why is that once these guys get behind the counter of a parts store, they instantly "know everything"? If I was there I would've immediately asked him what the function of a freeze plug is, I bet he would'nt know. rofl I just thought I would share this, because I've been laughing since my buddy told me!
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamelessly copied from another website:

"THE REAL PURPOSE OF FREEZE PLUGS

Engines are "sand cast". A special type of sand is poured into a pair of boxes. A "die" is pressed into the sand, making an impression of the engine block to be cast. The sections of the mold are then put together and molten iron is poured in, forming the engine. This is why engines have a rough texture on most areas: this is the texture of the sand used to cast them.

There have to be "cylinders" made of sand in the middle of this mold to create the cylinders of the engine block. These chunks of sand can't just "float" inside the mold: SOMETHING has to hold them in place. There are little columns of sand that connect the cylinder mold to the outer mold half. The mold for the cylinder "sits" on top of these. After the block is cast, these holes are machined smooth and a "freeze plug" is put in to plug the hole."

Wonder if the "tool" would believe you if you told him.....?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: