Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spare Tire storage???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Spare Tire storage??? Reply with quote

What kind of rear tire racks are you guys using? I've seen the warn ones where the tire is off to the passenger side. Don't really want to use the roof rack because of drag or should I say MORE drag.
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire storage??? Reply with quote

TheRo0sTer wrote:
What kind of rear tire racks are you guys using? I've seen the warn ones where the tire is off to the passenger side. Don't really want to use the roof rack because of drag or should I say MORE drag.

A good swing-away tire bumper is a great way to go, but can get a little costly. You can expect to spend over $500 on a moderate one, and companies like WARN make one for over $1000, with the differences in quality and options. Mine is a Tomken bumper, and although it's so-so in quality, with some welding reinforcement and good options it actually turned out to be a decent buy (their instructions recommend LOTS of drilling for mounting the swing arm and optional stuff, but since I don't intend to take anything off, we decided to measure the bracket spacing and weld the mothers on there. Those things would have to RUST to fall off...) Mine came with the swing arm mount, Gerry can/Hi-Lift mount, tire carrier, and 2" receiver with anchors for the frame rails, though I'll be converting the Hi-Lift mount to another Gerry can fitment.

Another more cost-effective route is to fab up your own or check the other Jeep forums for ones people are selling that they've designed. It'll definitely cost less, BUT you run the risk of getting something that might not be well made, or at the very least, made to last.

Custom 4x4 now makes a really good rear bumper that I wish had been available when I bought my Tomken, and for all the options it really looks good. I already have their Trailblazer front bumper, and it's sweet. They even showcase my rig on their webpage which makes me a little partial to them of course... rofl

Hope this helps!!! Very Happy

TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pics of your tire carrier? I've seen the Warn brand and I'm still up in the air center mount vs passenger side mount. I like that you can put a Gerry can on the passenger side type.
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if MySpace will allow this but...

If not, you can find me at http://www.myspace.com/drakerz69.

EDIT: Since that pic was taken, I relocated my CB antenna to the tire carrier, which is far more stable place for it to be. It also vastly improves reception because the bumper is well grounded.

97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Warn rear bumper with tire carrier. It is a very stout bumper but expensive! I personally wouldn't recommend going with the Warn. It is no doubt very durable, but for the price I am having some issues that I shouldnt such as the paint peeling off and the grease zerk has rusted up so now it is really hard to grease the bushing the carrier swings on. Also a few of the bolts are rusting and need to be replaced. These bumpers are durable but the weight of each is an issue. In the near future I plan on sanding it down and repainting or powdercoating it. For under $1000 a person could(and it has been done) make a quality bumber/tire carrier. Anyways, I know you said you've seen the Warn, but here it is on my XJ(I got the Warn front to go with it Smile )

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: