Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camp Jeep?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PSUDud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Camp Jeep? Reply with quote

Has anybody heard anything concrete about Camp Jeep this summer? I've heard rumors about it being back in the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains this summer, but can't find any specifics besides July 24-26th. Anybody know a specific location?

Any thoughts about the experience? I only work about 30 minutes away from that area during the summer and was thinking about checking it out... is it worth the 300ish bucks?
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camp Jeep is scheduled this year for Oak Ridge Estates in Nelson County near Charlottesville. So far, every time they've had it in Va has been there, and it's a pretty good event, but it's mostly for the beginner and intermediate crowds (although you see a good array of advanced rock crawlers there as well). The trails range from weekend country drives to a few difficult spots, but for the most part a moderately modded Jeep can conquer the hardest parts of the trails, WITH bypasses for those not willing to attempt them. You only get to sign up for two trails prior to going, but you can sign up for more depending on what might be left open afterwards.

As far as activities go, anything nature oriented is offered freely, with massive amounts of vendor showcases to go through. Everything Jeep and offroad related in vendors can be found there, from Garmin and Skyjacker to Detroit, WARN, and others. Camp Jeep also holds a store at the site, with many of its branded products offered like clothing, camping gear, and kid's entertainment. There's also engineering roundtables where camp goers can voice their opinions about their respective rigs, as well as help to shape the design of future models.

I've gone twice now since it's 10th anniversary in '04, and I can say it's a great event, but it can get costly (try getting out of the Jeep store without blowing more than $100 on merchandise, I DARE you... rofl ). As a matter of fact, they're currently carving out a few new trails this year on the property, so that's definitely something to look for, although I don't think I'll be going this year since it's gotten cost-prohibitive for me.

If you plan on attending, definitely work out where you'll be staying NOW since it books up fast as far away as LYNCHBURG. I recommend the Acorn Inn in Nelson Cty. It's an inn converted from horse stables, and despite the sound of it, it's REALLY COMFORTABLE to stay there, has an incredible view of the Ridge, is quaint, quiet, and rustic, AND is less than 5 mins. away from the event site. In addition, there is a small grocery store, a camping area for the more outdoors-type, and several places to dine nearby (as well as a picnic dinner and live band entertainment provided by Jeep on the last night).

Definitely worth going to at least once or twice in your lifetime. Mr. Green

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the liaison between VA4WDA, UFWDA, Chrysler and Oak Ridge (a.k.a - the horses mouth), this is not official yet. Right now, Chrysler is saying that Camp Jeep is tentatively coming to VA on July 24-26th. The final decision should be made sometime this month. However, if (key word) Camp Jeep is held in VA this year, it will be at Oak Ridge.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Didn't realize it was only tentative... Danka-shein. thumbs

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: