Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

99 Cherokee Sport 4.0L - All gauges failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
searcherrr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0L - All gauges failure Reply with quote

Coming from my first thread posted here:
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=80488#80488

We have purchased our first Jeep and we love it. I found a WONDERFUL deal for $4k at 90k miles and its in great internal/external shape aside from 1 lil problem. It is a beautiful Amethyst blue/purple color and was a 1 owner vehicle. It is almost in too good a shape to use for what we bought it for (muddin), but thats what its for.... to go walk the dog somewhere he can run. The dog should be feeling very special right about now cause that was the sole reason behind getting it, not to mention not wanting to have to clean the other car all the time.

Now for the problem:
From time to time all the gauges on the instrument panel cease to function. This usually seems to happen at idle/park or traveling at low speeds in a neighborhood. I've read up a lil bit and some people think this could be related to humidity/rain too.

In any case the intermittent gauges failing is always accompanied by:
Check Engine light comes on
Air Bag light comes on
"No Bus" or "No bu5" shows on the odometer

Vehicle mechanical functions do not seem affected. IE: The engine still runs and so does everything else. A restart of the Jeep usually gets rid of it, but it does pop up again from time to time.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a loose ground wire in the back of the instrument cluster. You have to pull the dash apart and make sure the wires are tight and clean going into the cluster.
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0L - All gauges failure Reply with quote

searcherrr wrote:

Now for the problem:
From time to time all the gauges on the instrument panel cease to function. This usually seems to happen at idle/park or traveling at low speeds in a neighborhood. I've read up a lil bit and some people think this could be related to humidity/rain too.

In any case the intermittent gauges failing is always accompanied by:
Check Engine light comes on
Air Bag light comes on
"No Bus" or "No bu5" shows on the odometer

I just swapped clusters in my own "new-to-me" 99 Cherokee. I couldn't stand the low-trim idiot light cluster, so I now have the high-trim cluster with full gauges and a tach.

A "no bus" error on a device in a Chrysler electronics system means that sub-component (the cluster in this case) isn't getting signals over the Chrysler Collision Detection Bus (just a fancy name for the serial data link and protocol between the multiple computers in the car). When I swapped my cluster, I did note that the two connectors that snap into the back of the cluster only engage fully if you REALLY push the cluster into its recess in the dash very firmly. My hunch is that one of the connectors on your cluster is making intermittent contact, and that re-seating the cluster into the dash would probably do the trick. Its also possible that the other end of the serial link is loose, or as someone else mentioned it could be that the cluster is intermittently losing its ground connection- but that too is through the two connections on the back. Short answer: probably a loose connection.

Its *possible* that its an electronic failure like a bad line driver in the serial bus system, but that's a lot less likely than a loose connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: