Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'90 Laredo Questions - Any help appreciated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: '90 Laredo Questions - Any help appreciated Reply with quote

I just bought a 1990 Cherokee Laredo. It's in great shape other than a little cosmetic issue on the passenger side corner. It runs great and for only $250 I have no complaints!

However, there are some issues that I need to fix.

1. I have a check "anti-lock" light on. The previous owner told me it came on about 12 years ago and he had the problem fixed but after a few months the light came back on. He hasn't had any issues related to the brakes since the light came on 12 years ago. The only reason why I need to fix it (I should just take the light bulb out) is because the vehicle has a salvaged title so it will have to be in spected by the California DMV and they won't even look at it if it has a light on. Stupid...

2. The "parking brake" light is constantly on. The previous owner told me that was related to the "anti-lock" issue.

3. Will the front right fender panel from my '86 Jeep fit on my new '90 Laredo?

I guess thats all the questions I have for now... I'll have a few more questions regarding the cosmetic repairs I'll be doing a little later.

The Jeep rear ended someone while making a right turn at about 5 mph. The damage isn't bad but I will need a fender panel, grille, headlight assy, etc...

It does have the lame closed style radiator... Oh, that reminds me of another questions.

Will the radiator from my '86 Cherokee with the GM 2.8 fit in the '90 Laredo 4.0?

The radiator in my '86 is brandnew and open style...

Thanks for your help... I appreciate it.

Tim

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suck the fluid out of the master and bleed the hole system till its clear (fluids brown and gorse isn't it ?, should be changed every year really brake fluid absorbs a lot of water . check the impedance of all the sensors (ohms) should all be really close resistance, clean the dirt out of the tone ring on the axle .

those are just first steps , hopefully they solve the problem .
or remove the light bulb Smile .

fender should fit .

don't know baout the rad , if its the same size for that engine then i would think so . body's didn't really change .
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling the ABS issue is more than a cleaning but I will clean everything anyways and check the sensors.

I think the problem is the "booster pump" or something related to that. When I turn the key to the "on" position (engine off) the pump starts vibrating or doing whatever it does... It's pretty noisy. It keeps doing it after the engine starts as well. It's been doing that for last 12 years.

I can pull the 10amp "ABS IGN" fuse out and the pump will shut off but I also lose my powerbrakes along with it.

I just finsihed getting all the damaged cosmetic pieces off... It looks pretty mean without the fender panel, grill, headlights, bumper, etc... To bad it has to pass that damn DMV safety inspection.

Thanks for the help.

I appreciate it.

Tim

Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the new jeep tim. we have nearly identical jeeps again! haha
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -

I love it. I'm excited about having something I can put a lift on, put a nice roof rack on and still have plenty of power left to get around. The MPI 4.0 gets almost the same mileage as my carbed 2.8... That's sad.

I picked up some 30x9.5 Goodyear Wranglers for it. I bought them on rims from a garage sale for only $0.75! 75 CENTS!!! And they still have 50% tread left. They should squeaze on there.

I can't wait until I can get the Jeep to pass the DMV safety inspection so I can use it as my DD.

Damn ABS...

Tim

Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the booster is bad I would get to a junkyard and grab one. and then when you replace it, take the positive battery terminal off the battery and hold it up against the fender or the engine block for a few seconds and it will clear the codes you had, if they come back something is still wrong. when you restart it after that I'd let it run for a while and then drive it around like you normally would for about 5 mins so the computer reprograms itself
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the computer re-set tip. I'll be going to a Pick 'N Pull later this week...

I'll try to find a new booster.

Thanks -

Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: