Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wht do you think about chevy 305 v8 in my 85 cherokee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1984cherokee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: wht do you think about chevy 305 v8 in my 85 cherokee Reply with quote

one of my buddys has a chevy 305 v8 he gave me and i was wondering if it could go into my 1985 jeep cherokee that has the 2.8 v6 in it rite now!!
if anyone has any advice let me know
thank you
Darren

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tranny will not hold up with that power. That is going to be a tight fit in the 85 as well.
rockjock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do mount that motor up in your cherokee you'd better look into reinforcing your unibody frame. Otherwise, you could end up with a pretzel jeep
1984cherokee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i am going to get the gm th350 transmisson, and i have talked to alot a people and friends that have done this conversion. said the unibody will be fine!! and the engine i am getting is a gm 350 not the 305 like i said before!!
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1984cherokee wrote:
ya i am going to get the gm th350 transmisson, and i have talked to alot a people and friends that have done this conversion. said the unibody will be fine!! and the engine i am getting is a gm 350 not the 305 like i said before!!

your friends are dead wrong. the unibody may APPEAR to hold up to the 350. but the real wear will show after about 1k miles when the front frame rails start coming apart due to the much higher torque. You WILL need to reinforce the unibody, add crossmembers.. everything. Your better off taking everything off the unibody and mounting the whole thing to a chevy 1500 shortbed chassis. The unibody WILL NOT HOLD UP. Also, to switch to a th350 youll need to get a crossmember that will support it, as well as custom mounts. Your better off putting a v6 in it, the jeep unibody will hold up to a v6 quite well (even the 4.3L vortec motors)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: