Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pictures and info for 30" tires and 1" lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skylander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Pictures and info for 30" tires and 1" lift Reply with quote

I have a 95 xj country stock. It has 235/75R15 s on original lace rims. I plan on replacing the sagging springs with quadratec HD (LK) replacement springs for about a 1" lift (spacer up front to level if necessary). Then, getting some 30" BFG AT tires.

I was wondering if anyone had pictures of their xj on 30 x 9.5 inch tires or 30 x 10.5 tires. Any other experience or concerns to regarding slightly taller tires with little or no lift?
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic on 30x9.5r15 generic all-terrains with flares on, 1.75" Econo-lift, 15x7 American Racing rims. No idea of the backspacing... but it's less than stock, pushing the rims further out (probably 4.5?").

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic on 30x9.5r15 BFG Mud Terrains (sans flares), 1.75" Econo-lift, 15x7 Rims. No idea of the backspacing... but it's less than stock, pushing the rims further out (probably 4.5?").

With rims that have less backspacing than stock, you will get rubbing when you flex offroad even with stock tires... but not bad. With the 30x9.5s and less backspacing, you can rub quite a bit while flexing offroad, and even a little bit backing out of the driveway. But they mainly rub the flares... which is why in the latter photos the flares are off. I got sick of reattatching them everytime I went 4-wheeling. Without the flares, they hardly rub at all, unless you do pretty crazy stuff. When we were on the Dusy Ershim, my brother's Cherokee (27" tires w/ 4.5" backspacing) bent the crap out of the fenders, and they were even cut out a bit.

So this brings us back to the bumpstop issue. I believe Phantom says that for every inch of lift, you should have 1/2" of extended bumpstops. Correct me if I am quoting you incorrectly.

Finally, with 30x9.5s and 4.5" of backspacing, you will only slightly rub the flares with regular road driving. Even with moderate offroading they will rub, but not likely bend anything. They won't rub the suspension at all.
jeepboi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your hood in the second pic. Where did you get it?
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from Quadratec. It is made by Reflexxions, but Quadratec was the only dealer I found at the time. Note that they will charge you $100 for freight shipping on top of the listed price.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55023_003_T.htm
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: All steel Cowl Bonnet Reply with quote

Good rite up on All steel Cowl Bonnet
From Go Jeep XJ in Australia
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBonnet.htm
skylander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Davidxj

Your rig looks more stout than stock. That was kind of what I was interested in. The rims you have making the wheels stick out a little more give it an illusion of a much bigger tire particularly with black rims.

So are you saying 4.5" is the stock backspacing? I'm planning on keeping the stock rims and using it offroad. So, with 30x9.5 I wont get rubbing on the front under turning? Probably just inside the wheel wells in the rear?

Anyone else have a similar set up they want to show?
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, 4.5" sticks out more than stock. I'm not sure what the stock backspacing is, but it has to be between 5.5" and 7". With the stock rims you won't rub much, because the tire tucks up behind the fender. But with 4.5" backspacing, the tire will contact the fender instead of tucking behind it. With stock rims and 30x9.5s, you might have a little rubbing on the front flares when you flex a lot with the wheels turned. But it's not bad. The rear shouldn't rub much at all.
88xjSUPERJEEP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know mine is the old body, but here's 30x9.5s with zero lift.

on stock wheels:

on wheels w/ 3.75 inch backspacing i believe

88xjSUPERJEEP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock backspacing is 4.75, 4.5 would fit fine! mine are like 3.something backspaced, and still rub only when flexing.

EDIT: sorry, you are saying yours rub the fender flares... you are right, on the stock wheels, they tucked behind the fenders, and only a little rub on the control arms at full lock...
jeepboi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidXJ wrote:
I got it from Quadratec. It is made by Reflexxions, but Quadratec was the only dealer I found at the time. Note that they will charge you $100 for freight shipping on top of the listed price.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55023_003_T.htm

Damn pricey but thanks for the information. I think I'll get it lifted and my performance mods done first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: