Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rebuilding the 4.0 in the 92

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toliver09

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: rebuilding the 4.0 in the 92 Reply with quote

Alright, the pcv valve was unplugged when I got my 1992 XJ Laredo. After some very detailed overlooking on the motor, i noticed that the main seals are leaking on my 4.0. I am taking the 4.0 out of our 1991 XJ Sport that has failed due to rust issues but the engine is still good. I am putting performance parts i.e. a .433 lift cam and flat top pistons. Are there any products other than an exhaust and intake system that I should look into? Im really trying to get all the low end power I can without spending more than 1500. Thanks, Mike.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FARMER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4.2 crank and rods will turn it into a 4.5 with more horsepower and tourque. http://www.ajeepthing.com/stroker-motor.html
Toliver09

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never thought of that. a stroker motor may be the way to go Very Happy
Im pulling the other motor sometime on monday or tuesday.

Cam has been purchased
new seals/gaskets have been purchased as well

I am going to have to wait until I see what condition the crank assembly is on the motor before I go out and buy a 4.2's crank. I am already overboring .03 on the new motor so I am unsure as to what else I will be getting.

I want to bore the throttle body, but I may end up having to buy a big bore throttle body instead.

any other ideas?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a newer intake manifold instead of the bore . i won't stroke my jeep , i wanted to but there is no way i will run premium in a jeep .

port and polish the head (and get a valve job ) . cloyes timing set .
Toliver09

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have a problem with running 93 oct if I have to, stroking the motor is just one option i have. I still am unsure just because I don't want to build a motor that wont last more than 150k miles. I may put a mild cam in it, but that may be the only real performance mod I make. I am overboring .03 just because thats what the honing set we have here does and its easy to get parts for that setup. I also found a .533 lift cam... WHY would ANYONE want that loby of a cam in a jeep. Oh well. I think I'm going to have the head ported anyways and I may "tweak" my stock intake a bit so allow more flow. I am not afraid to whip out some machining tools.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want to do the overbore anyway , cylinders are probably out of round honing wont fix that. .030 over is a good idea . the sealed power hyper pneumatic ,coated pistons aren't very expensive and are supposed to be good for the 4.0.

i would stroke it if i didn't care about gas . 1.35$ L is just to much for me , thats close to 5$ a gallon .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: