Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Clutch Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Need Clutch Help Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to avoid replacing the entire clutch in my '86 XJ for $170. I'm not even sure if replacing the existing clutch with a "clutch kit" will fix my problem.

Here are the symptoms... Any advice is appreciated.

The clutch works fine for putting the Jeep into gear from a stand still and while driving. However, for example, if I pulled up to a stop sign, put it in 1st and had to wait for about 10 seconds the clutch will give out and start pulling the car out into the intersection just as if you were trying to drive forward from a dead stop without using the gas.

I bled (twice) the clutch line and there are no outside leaks in the system.
Personally, I think its more of a hydraulic issue rather then the actual clutch plate or other mechanical components.

Oh! And if I ever so slowly push down the clutch pedal it won't engage and has no tention.

I need to fix this issue as soon as possible so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you -

Tim
kaos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definetily a hydraulic issue, not clutch plate. As you have no external leaks, I think it must be an internal leak, i.e. the fluid is leaking back past the master cylinder piston into the reservoir. Replacing the master cylinder or it's piston seals should fix it.

--
Regards,
Kári.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure sounds like a hydraulic issue!

If you have an internal slave cylinder, it's probably the culprit.

Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, so we all agree... That's good.

How should I go about fixing the problem?

I mean, is there a way to figure out exactly what piece needs to be replaced or should I just buy a new slave cylinder, or what?

Thanks for the help.

Tim
kaos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... My bet is still on the master cylinder, but I could of course be wrong. Here is my reasoning:

1. The symptoms you describe (fairly rapid stroke required to achieve disconnect and the clutch gradually catching again if you keep the pedal depressed) are classic symptoms of hydraulic leak.
2. As you are seeing no loss of fluid, the leak must find it's way back into the reservoir somehow.
3. The only place and method I can imagine for that is "blowby" of the master cylinder piston.
4. I could be wrong. BUT...
5. If you can't narrow it down to another component for certain, I would still be inclined to start with the master cylinder, if only because it is easy to access, and hopefully you can get a rebuild kit for it at a reasonable price.
6. Point 5 applies doubly, or even quadruply, if you have an internal slave cylinder (contained within the bellhousing). In fact, if it were my car and I was forced to seperate transmission and engine to fix a slave cylinder, I would look carefully into the economics of converting to an external one. I believe there are kits to do this. Oh, and I would also be inclined to renew the disk and pressure plate while I was at it, to make sure I wouldn't have to open it again in the near future.

--
Regards,
Kári
Toliver09

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your 86 is an external slave cylinder just like my old jeep (you have a cylindrical piece of metal sticking out of the passenger side of the transmission pointing at the rear end. I would see about disconnecting the hydraulic line from your slave cylinder (stated above) and caping it off with a 3/8 brake line cap (50 cents at a napa etc) and pushing the clutch softly, if the pedal doesnt move the master cylinder is fine, thus leaving only the slave cylinder to be replaced. If the pedal moves and feels spongy the seals on the master cylinder have gone bad and probably have ruined the master cylinder itself.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it!

Any projects (such as working on the Jeep outside) will have to wait until we get weather warmer than 25 degrees up here... It's pretty damn cold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: