Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The $1000 Jeep!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: The $1000 Jeep! Reply with quote

My oldest son called yesterday and asked if a 1990 Jeep might be worth $1000. He said it was parked next to friend's house and the guy's neighbor wanted to sell it. He described it to me and I told him that I would buy it sight unseen. I ended up going to look at it, but we bought it together, each getting 1/2. He will drive it daily, but I get to take it when I want it. Another Jeep convert!

Well after buying a new battery and a can of starter fluid, here it is home in my driveway.

I think we are just about $10 worth of quarter car washes, a half gallon of Armor All, a set of seat covers, and an exhaust system away from a decent driver........
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty workable for $1000. Looks like the 2.5L's in there. How does it sound running?
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it ran like crap............it has been sitting for over a year, maybe two and it has a bad exhaust leak around the manifold. The exhaust pipe is cracked and broken in front of the muffler so it really sounds like crap.

We drove it about 5 miles home and it cleaned up nicely and quit missing. I think it just had a bunch of crap from sitting and getting it blown out will take care of most of the engine issues.

Plans for now are to clean it up, new plugs, an oil change, a new exhaust, and drive the heck out of it!
drew42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a pretty good deal there . Very Happy I remember back in the day when I got deals like that . After all those fender benders that I had I finally learned how to drive . Wink Glad to add another Jeep to the ranks.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrats Hutch. 'Bout time you found something that fit into your budget you cheap bastid. Finger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Wink
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just keeps getting better.......the previous owner has had this Jeep since 92 and has never wheeled it. It has been on country roads, but that is it. He bought it as a lease return so it is a two owner Jeep.

I wish I could find one like this once a month!
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have bought it for a grand. Give her a good tune up and a new exhaust and run the hell out of it.

at least thats what I would do
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loosened the manifolds today, no exhaust gasket............maybe why it had a leak. The exhaust pipe was held on by one nut that was only finger tight, that might leak............

The exhaust system is sound otherwise. I also discovered several broken vacuum lines, which when fixed, should fix the miss. I think this thing is very solid, but just needed some mechanical attention.

Woo Hoo!
JVILLA112

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just let me know if you want your money back! Mr. Green
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the $1000 Jeep project.........YJ:

Completed so far....

New air filter - the old one was so plugged it was a wonder it even ran at all.

New Intake/exhaust gasket - this stopped approximately 50% of the exhaust leaks, the other 50% we fixed when we reattached the exhaust pipe.
Fixed several large vacuum leaks.

With these changes alone, it runs almost like new.

Installed a new set of plugs - 3 out of the 4 were barely finger tight. This also improved the way it runs. It has a new set of wires, dist cap, and rotor.

Installed new starter - we needed this because the old one stayed engaged in the flywheel and destroyed itselt. We also fixed the ignition switch which caused the starter problem.

Tyson just took it to have the oil changed.

The plan from here on out is to drive it and have some fun......we do need to get a muffler and tail pipe however....maybe this week.

So far we have $1250 including tax in the entire project and it is a functional Jeep.

More to come!
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap YJ update:

I drove the YJ today for the first time following the initial improvements. I drove it about 20 miles and it drives OK...not as good as a TJ, but OK. It is truly a Jeep. It is loud, it is windy, it wonders while going down the highway, and I love it!

The list of required to do's changes daily.

Exhaust from teh muffler back.
Replace the thermostat - It is stuck open and causes the computer to run the engine on fast idle.
Install seat covers.
Check the O2 senser.
Change fluids in both diffs, transmission, and transfer case. I think I will go with synthetic.
Clean, clean, clean everything.
Paint the inside of the tub with bedliner stuff.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update:

Had a muffler and tailpipe installed today. It made it run much smoother and much more quiet of course.

Installed a new thermostat. The old on was stuck open and would not allow the engine to run at normal temperature. This change made the idle much smoother. So far every change we have made has improved the engine operation. It is now completely functional and drivable.

Today was clean up day.......I washed it inside and out with soap and water. Following cleaning I used Armorall on the seats doors and dash. The plastic was very dry looking from sitting in the sun, but seemed to come back after allowing the Armorall to soak in. It looks like a different Jeep!

Time to drive it and have some fun now.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some more pics......

pictures........

And in it's element.....

You guys may get tired of hearing about this Jeep, but it rocks for me. I just can't imagine having any more fun for $1600!
Randomdude735

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: You totally rock Reply with quote

Wow.
You realise this jeep is worth like 3 times what you paid for it?
Nice find, nice jeep.
I am so totally jealous. I bought my 88 6 months ago for 2500 and have put another 800 into it, and yours is WAY better.
Very very nice

dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: