Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'01 TJ Won't crank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: '01 TJ Won't crank Reply with quote

2001 TJ 4.0L 5-spd sport. Here's the symptoms...Wife parked her Jeep the other night about 20 minutes later she tried starting it, nothing. dash lights come on wipers work, radio works etc. NO cranking turn the key and nothing. the solenoid doesn't seem to be engaging. when I bridge the starter the motor spins like it should but the solenoid doesn't push it out to engage the fly wheel. I've already replaced the starter and tested the battery with and without load. Any and I mean any help would be greatly appreciated.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

I tested the ignition switch and jumped the red (power) wire and the yellow (starter) wire and with the key in run the position the jeep starts right up and runs like normal. Had it running for over an hour shut it off and re-started it numerous times using the same method. I also tested the clutch pedal position switch with no results. I assume this is because it is "downstream" of the ignition switch and the ignition switch is faulty. With the key in the start position the yellow wire has no power from the switch (no matter what position the clutch is in.) This leads me to believe the ignition is faulty and needs replacing. Does this make sense to the electric guru's out there? Also what size tamper proof torx driver is needed to remove the switch? And is there anything else I should look at before replacing the switch?
chainbrain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: poss fix Reply with quote

hello, did you try testing your starter relay? or checking for corrosion on some of the terminals of the main harness connector? a good thing to buy is a voltmeter and have your wife place ignition into run position while you are under the car testing the start wire for voltage, if its not found there trace the wire back until you find where you have some, always remember the first lost last found method. hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: