Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001 XJ 4x4 - A girl needs some help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kloyd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: 2001 XJ 4x4 - A girl needs some help! Reply with quote

I bought the hubby a 5.5" lift from Rubicon Express (jeepinoutfitters.com - AWESOME) and I read that I needed a SYE which i also bought (Heavy Duty NP231 Kit) also from jeepinoutfitters. My question is this: I want to suprise him with everything he needs but I'm having trouble with the rear driveshaft. I've read that it needs to be be longer but where the heck do I get one & what darn size? The Driveshaft that's in there now is stock, along with the stock NP231 transfer case. Well, Everything is stock right now. I also got 33" superswapers (if that info is relevant). He is a really good tech so I know he will know what he's doing but I don't want to ask him & ruin the surprise. Can you guys help? I called Rubicon Express, but the guy was a dick & didn't answer my question. And what is a Hack & Tap? do I need that? Cripes...... Shocked
Also, can I trust that the nates 4x4 F & R bumpers will be nice? I ordered them yesterday.
P.S. I dont want to spend 300.00 more dollars for a driveshaft! The stock ones are on ebay for $6.00!!!
badger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can't get a driveshaft till you now what length ,you won't know the length till you have the lift on.There is place that will make you a driveshaft knowing the amount of lift you want to install but I don't like that concept since every lift and every vehicle is different.

As for spending 300 for a new shaft isn't that kind of a drop in the bucket compared to all the crap you just bought.You could possibly use a stock front shaft but you would want to fully rebuild it plus I have never liked the diameter of the front shaft to be working full time in the rear.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kloyd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh thanks?

???

so forget the DS? He'll have to do that later is what you're telling me....

The $300 is out of principal...I would like to go shopping for me again someday.
badger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i was saying there are a few online places that will build you a shaft depending on lift amount but its going to cost you that 300 or more for a new shaft.Once that SYE is installed you can no longer use the factory shaft since you are changing the way the drive shaft mounts and works.

So once the lift is on you can measure the distance for the new shaft.Measure from the center of the yoke flange to center of yoke flange.While you wait for the new rear shaft to be built you might be able to move the front shaft to the rear to get by.If you want to go the cheap way out go to a junk yard pull the right style shaft and have it shortened to fit the Jeep or get another front shaft from a Cherokee.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kloyd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does help badger...Thanks. I'll share this info with him.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 XJ 4x4 - A girl needs some help! Reply with quote

kloyd wrote:
I read that I needed a SYE which i also bought (Heavy Duty NP231 Kit) also from jeepinoutfitters. . . . And what is a Hack & Tap? do I need that? Cripes...... :

The Hack and Tap is a wee bit less expensive type of SYE but it sounds like you already purchased a HD Kit so, no you will NOT need the Hack & Tap.

I run a Hack & Tap ( http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9274&highlight=hack+tap )

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one lucky husband!!! Mr. Green
kloyd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiled...is more like it.
okcjeeper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you need to talk to my wife..Smile I'd love a suprise of a 5" lift for the cherokee along with the SYE and new tires and DS and oh man I need to let my wife read this..XMAS and BDAY is around the corner..Smile

I graduate from college in May 09 and told all my family for graduation just pool your money and buy me a complete 4-5" lift..Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: