Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

compressor question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dallen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: compressor question Reply with quote

98 sport I-6
Whenever I switch on my defrost or AC the compressor kicks on and off every 3 seconds. Cycles on and off. The electric fan also kicks on every time the compressor kicks on which I understand is normal but is the compressor supposed to cycle like that or is going out or some sensor or switch bad?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually if compressor cycles too often indicative of low freon charge.

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
adamzski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the low freon thing is true, but mine does the exact same thing, so i just use the "floor/feet" setting, youll notice that that will blow on the windshield as well and works fine to defrost. my A/C works mint in the summer so my guess for the only reason the compressor cycles like that is cause its cold outside and theres a temp sensor telling the compressor that its too cold to need a/c and your switch command telling it to run, which the only reason is to take the humidity out of the air, so i just consider it a mystery and dont use those settings.
Mud Terrains
Jet performance chip
K&N Intake
Flowmaster exhaust
Custom wheels
Locked Diffs
Kenwood head, infinity speaks, pioneer subs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compressor is supposed to kick in when defrost is on . mine however has a low charge and the belt will stall on it because there is no oil in it . i just unplugged the dam thing , who needs ac anyway .

im going to say you have a low charge .
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs AC? This is obviously a comment by someone who lives in "Always 80 degrees with a breeze BC." It was over 100 degrees something like 6 weeks last year in the Central Valley, with 90+ temps from May until September. My wife is from Canada, and she about died the first year we lived here. The temperature in my Jeep is over 180 degrees when I leave it parked outside. When you go offroad here, the dust is so bad (no rain from May until Oct.) that you can't see the vehicle in front of you at times. That sucks a$$ . But with an AC on recirculate, it's a lot more enjoyable. Maybe I'm just old, but I figure if I can keep my AC working and wheel more comfortably, it's worth every penny. I'd imagine there are a few poor souls who live in AZ that would agree with me.

About your AC... like Brad said, the AC pump is supposed to run when your defrost is on. It takes the moisture out of the air. It will cycle on and off pretty often. But 3 seconds does seem a bit too fast. So I would take jppilot61s advice about low freon, and get the freon level checked and charged. If this makes it cycle less often, then problem solved. If not, and the AC blows nice and cold on a hot day, I wouldn't worry about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: