Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with suspension/tire question....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoggy97

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Newbie with suspension/tire question.... Reply with quote

Hey all, I am new to the world of jeep (three days to be exact)..... I just bought a 97 jeep wrangler SE and i love it. I bought it off a dealership and they had new tires put on. Im not too sure the size right now but they are taller than stock sitting on the stock rim and when i crank the wheel all the way (either way) it rubs slightly on the steering components/suspension.

Is there a good lift for my situation? or and quick "hockey puck" get the job done type suggestions?

It has the 2.5 4 cyl in it and eventually after i get used to the jeep i was gonna try the small block swap for some good fun so i dont want to buy the proper suspension lift and have to upgrade after the swap is done.

Thanks for the input
---
Mike
teague yj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16105_101.htm

a two in lift would get you a little more clearance.\

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92807_001.htm

or wheel spacers will stop the rub.

Both would get you lookin niceee

Cool
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing some washers on the steering stops will limit the turning radius a tad, but should stop the rubbing you describe in most cases. If it's possible, toss a pic of the tire/wheel combo up so we can see what size it is. If nothing else, get the tire size off the sidewall and post it up so the tire width can be known.

Wheels spacers will solve the problem, but sound like overkill and when you refer to hockey pucks, I'm guessing you're either talking a spacer lift or body lift, neither of which will get the control arms any further away from tires at full lock.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
Installing some washers on the steering stops will limit the turning radius a tad, but should stop the rubbing you describe in most cases. If it's possible, toss a pic of the tire/wheel combo up so we can see what size it is. If nothing else, get the tire size off the sidewall and post it up so the tire width can be known.

Wheels spacers will solve the problem, but sound like overkill and when you refer to hockey pucks, I'm guessing you're either talking a spacer lift or body lift, neither of which will get the control arms any further away from tires at full lock.

X2.

I'd adjust the steering stops before spending lots of money on wheel spacers or a lift. As 'drack noted, the lift isn't going to do anything to get the control arms away from the tires.
stoggy97

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone, i dont have my tire size handy but they are definately the stock rims, but more than likely i may just get the spacers before a lift kit.... im gonna wait for that until the small block swap i think Very Happy I got a new question though ill be posting about the 4wd Sad
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get rims with different backspacing, do basicaly the same as the wheel spacers but a little bit cheaper

http://4x4xplor.com/rockcrawlers.html

i have 30x9.5OR15LT, i belive that i have stock rims still... not sure, just got this jeep yesterday, but my tires rub at full lock aswell, what is the stock width? what backspacing should i be looking at if i want to do 32" or 33s later on?
39.5x16.50R16 pitbull rocker extremes
Homemade Bumpers and rock sliders
check us out at www.tucsonoffroad.net
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teague yj wrote:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16105_101.htm

a two in lift would get you a little more clearance.\

Cool

i looked into this a little bit on quadratec website and it says the shocks are sold seperately, im guessing that means that you cant use the stock shocks with this set? are there special shocks you need because of the extra 2" gap?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need longer shocks to accommodate any amount of lift. Stock shocks will be ok with a 2" lift, but will limit articulation. I would suggest going with new. If the current shocks are original to the Jeep, they should be replaced, lift or not.
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what shocks would you suggest? i dont know very much about suspension and shocks and all that... will it say on them if theyr'e ment for lifted jeeps?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to recommend shocks, everyone likes a different ride. It won't say, on the shocks, how much lift they are intended for. The place that you buy them (online or in a store) will know. Websites list the shocks according to specific vehicle and lift heights.
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in looking on quadratec it talks about 13.54" / 22.75" Stud / Eye or the Eye / Eye what does that mean? eye to eye im guessing is for the opening to the opening

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16016_101.htm
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbaedc wrote:
in looking on quadratec it talks about 13.54" / 22.75" Stud / Eye or the Eye / Eye what does that mean? eye to eye im guessing is for the opening to the opening

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16016_101.htm

Those would be the collapsed and extended lengths of the shock from attachment point to attachment point.
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh thanks! sorry i know im asking alot of questions... but im looking into a budget lift of about two inches do the kits come with everything i need? and is there other things i should look into modifying to keep driving and off roading safe with one of these kits that it dosn't talk about on the sales page? i was kinda looking into this RE one

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_400.htm
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good deal, gives a 1/2" more lift than average kits. RE pucks measure 1 3/4", these measure 2 1/4". Make sure you get rear bumpstop extensions with any kit you decide on, they are a must for a coil spacer lift. Sometimes the rear track bar needs to be addressed after a 2" lift, but I've seen it go either way.

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=77892&sid=a919a01fd72bb678d813046483a23449
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the differance between nitro shocks and hydro shocks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: