Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Jen...........

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably should have listened to "Best Trail Guide" (Bob) or "Safest Driver" (Steve).

Bob did a great job, but I want some of whatever they were smoking when they elected Steve the "Safest Driver"!

When flying pig !

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Hey Steve Reply with quote

What ya got between ya legs there?

Man that looked ugly all the way! Hope it's all better now. Did you have to resize the holes for the upper shock mount?
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't touched it since Friday night. Currently it has no rear driveshaft, no drivers side shock and the swaybar is as useless as a shrubbery. We limped it home like that.

Only one of the upper shock bolts is sheared off. The other is still intact. I'm going to try and extract the broken one. If not, I'll have to drill it out and tap new threads. Worst case, I'll cut into the rear deck and weld a nut in there. We just have a lot going on right now so I'm not going to be able to get to it for a few weeks.

I agree with Mark...Bob did an AWESOME job as lead....but I demand a recount on me as safest driver. Has anyone who voted actually seen me wheel? rofl

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's the details. How'd it happen?

Drilling the shock bolts out on the driver side of a TJ is a PITA. Between the tank and the frame it's a tight sqeeze.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ5 hill is just a slick, steep rock. Although it's named because it was a CJ5 that first made it up successfully, longer wheelbases tend to do better on it that shorter wheelbases. Lockers help (and she has one), but if you don't have precisely the right line, you won't make it up. Jimmy was trying to get her to approach it from the left side to build some momentum and then turn into the groove. He assumed that she knew to turn into it....she didn't...

She hit the tree, which bounced the front end up in the air and twisted the body on the rear axle....hard. As the body twisted (violently) the rear sway bar end links snapped, which caused the drivers side shock to become the limiter. It sheared off one of the upper bolts and the shock fell out. With that limiter gone, the body continued to rotate on the rear axle, which resulted in the spring falling out. The twist was so far that the double cardian joint in the driveshaft couldn't take it anymore and one of the ujoint trunnions sheared off. The yoke of the rear axle also hit the muffler (leaving a nice dent). I'm not sure if it was the yoke hitting the muffler that cracked it or if it was just the extreme angle that the pinion side ujoint was at.

All of this took about two or three seconds....if that long. If she hadn't listened to Jimmy when he said 'stop', it most likely would have been MUCH worse as the bushings in the drivers side upper and lower control arms were very close to tearing out of their mounts on the frame side.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least there weren't any injuries. Mr. Green

Besides what the Jeep endured. Sad

Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
She hit the tree, which bounced the front end up in the air and twisted the body on the rear axle....hard. As the body twisted (violently) the rear sway bar end links snapped, which caused the drivers side shock to become the limiter. It sheared off one of the upper bolts and the shock fell out. With that limiter gone, the body continued to rotate on the rear axle, which resulted in the spring falling out. The twist was so far that the double cardian joint in the driveshaft couldn't take it anymore and one of the ujoint trunnions sheared off. The yoke of the rear axle also hit the muffler (leaving a nice dent). I'm not sure if it was the yoke hitting the muffler that cracked it or if it was just the extreme angle that the pinion side ujoint was at.

Nice. That would've been a thing to see right there from behind.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the last person left behind her (on other side of creek) - Tail Gunner position.

Like I told Jen it was SPECTACULIAR BREAKAGE!

Sitting behind and at an angle above her, I KNEW something was terribly wrong when I could see the entire length of her Yellow OME Shock and the rear coil spring rolling down the hill.
UNL1MTD
Tastes just like Strawberries...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yikes, breakage sounds bad, but atleast you guys were out wheeling, definitely sorry I missed it.

I'm thinking we should do a group buy on limiting straps. Razz
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem was the plastic sway bar end links....if they hadn't broken, none of it would have happened.

A prime case of break it...upgrade it. Wink

Quote:
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a prime case for sway bar end links group buy!

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch over to leaf springs shock
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StreetDoc wrote:

rofl

X 2!!!!
02tj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StreetDoc wrote:
I was thinking of installing a yj set but opted for my 8.8 and the RE spring perch set that I had laying around for 1.5 years!
Tastes just like Strawberries...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen2Goofy wrote:
It's a prime case for sway bar end links group buy!

I upgraded to RE rear end links because I always felt the factory ones were too short for my OME lift. I didnt even think of it as a strength upgrade, more to just get increased travel.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: