Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacesetter Header Fit Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coonass XJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Pacesetter Header Fit Problems Reply with quote

*sigh* Ok. I ordered a set of Pacesetter Headers from JC Whitney. I got the header pipe on my 95 XJ 4.0 HO. Noticed that there's a sensor port in one of the down tubes. There's also a sensor port on the collector pipe. My sensor won't reach either one - that was the first problem. I then noticed the second problem when I began trying to attach the collector pipe - The bellhousing is interfering with me getting the collector on. Am I supposed to force it? Or was I supposed to have assembled it prior to putting it in? The instructions didn't say. Anybody run into this with the Pacesetter? I had such high hopes...
Bone Stock, except for the cheezy glasspack the previous owner installed
Cody82zxt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just installed the pasesetter header on my 90 model and while it may be alittle different I don't think it is.

First, your right the egr bung is not was not placed correctly at all. I had to cut mine in half then trim away some of the middle, slide a piece of round stock that I bought from Lowes over the seperated peices and then weld them together. I took my time and tacked everything up first and even then once it was all welded together I had to heat it up and bend it some. Sorry no pics. Wish I had taken some now.

Second, I put mine together backwards. Meaning I loosely bolted the last tube to the factory pipe and went up from there. You might try putting a little antiseize on the header pipes inorder to help them go into the collector better.

Let me know if you need more help.
Coonass XJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I figured out why the down pipes were butting up against the bellhousing: I just hadn't tightened the bolts to the block. Actually figured that out about 10 minutes ago. Thanks for the tip about anti-seize. That will help me get the collector pipe on.

As far as the rest of what you described, WAY beyond my skill level. I'm lucky to have gotten away with doing what I've done so far! Confused I may have to have somebody do that for me.

But before I attempt that, I'm wondering if I can locate a longer sensor wire, as well as a plug for the port on the down pipe. I'm thinking that it would be better to have the sensor in the pipe after everything has come together, rather than in one of the down pipes.
Cody82zxt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to find some plugs for the egr pipe also but, had a hard time finding the right thead pattern. I honestly didn't look to hard. If I were you I would take the EGR pipe to a good hardware store and find the right plugs. Then take the whole assembled Jeep to a good muffler shop and have them fix up the EGR tube for you. That shouldn't cost you to much. Depending on where you live it would not be emisions legal so you would need to get it fixed asap.
Coonass XJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Louisiana. I think we have a hole in the ozone named after us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: