Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Window Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JB97jeep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: New Window Problem Reply with quote

Okay got home yesterday from hardware store equipped with several diffrent size cotter pins. . and the 14/2 copper romex wire... Ready to tackle the broken window project from what I learned in that excellent previous window post....
Here is the new problem.. It was my main plastic tube that snapped at one of the bends / curves.
Is there a way to replace the tube ? and or what would yall suggest to mend the tube ? right now i have a hose clamp on each side of the snap and a piece of wire tieing them together for a makeshift repair ..but if I turn the hose clamps too tight it restricts the cable inside and prevents it from moving freely. all input or ideas would be welcome.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics?
JB97jeep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to get you guys pics this evening or first thing manyanna..
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you are talking about the cover sleeve that is protecting the metal cable that revolves when window motor is running? If so remove the broken section of the sleeve and take it with you to some place that will sell or give you 2 inches of rubber or clear plastic hose whose ID will slip over you’re sleeves OD. Alco by 2 hose clamps that fit OD of repair hose and some white lithium grease.

When back home move window to expose as much of cable as possible, clean cable off so that no dirt is mixed with old grease. Lube exposed cable with white lithium grease, exercise window up and down, taking care not to get cable dirty again, with cable exposed repeat lubing, then retract cable out of the way.

Now slip repair hose and one clamp over existing sleeve approximately 1 inch and tighten hose clamp slightly, next insert broken sleeve with hose clamp into repair hose and tighten hose clamp slightly. Remember slightly is the word you are not holding in pressure, you are only preventing your repair from coming apart.

The final step is to place repaired sleeve back into door cavity with no sharp bends. Then tryout window operation once more if all is OK repair is complete.

This thought is not original; I copied idea from some buddy’s suggestion on how to lube the cable but can’t find it.
JB97jeep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds fantastic.. I was not thinking along those lines because I had no idea I would be able to slide the repair tube over the existing tube..
Due to the fact that the cable was of corse inside of it. Im going to the hardware store to to attempt that method.. I have tried two completly difrrent methods and it works for about 5 times and then pops apart again.. thank you very much for the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: