Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

242 Xfer case shift linkage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZJ_Ras

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: 242 Xfer case shift linkage Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm in the process of swapping out my 249 with the fried VC for a 242. I opted to get one rebuilt already with the right output for my 95 ZJ with the 5.2, but it didn't come with the shift linkage.

I know from Swampy's tutorial that the 249 one won't work. I did manage to find one from a 231 at the junkyard today. Are they the same length?

Can anyone out there with a 242 linkage measure the distance from the center of each pivot hole so I might be able to re-drill the long one from my 249 if I need to?

Jon
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need the 242 shift tab. The 249 and the 231 are too long. Sorry, no 242 linkage for me or I would measure it for you.

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12197

BTW, how much did you pay for the rebuilt t-case?
ZJ_Ras

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Yeah, I just got done and figured that out. With the 231 tab, I have 2H, 4Full and 4Part. No Neutral or 4Lo.

I've got it in 2H now so it's OK until I get the right lever.

I paid $795 for the rebuilt 242. They did all the parts swapping for the ZJ at no extra charge. I've got a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty.

It was another $85 for shipping to me and my old 249 back to them for the core refund.

It all went in easy as can be. the hardest part was moving the studs from the old case to the new one.

Orangeamc13 wrote:
You'll need the 242 shift tab. The 249 and the 231 are too long. Sorry, no 242 linkage for me or I would measure it for you.

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12197

BTW, how much did you pay for the rebuilt t-case?
ZJ_Ras

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did some searching around for the shift lever. Checked a parts dealer with no luck, the local scrap yards were looking pretty slim. I found one place that had one, but the guy tried to tell me that wasn't the part I needed and that that shift linkage was "very complicated".

I told him about the guides I found online, including Swampboy's tutorial here and he said that 75% of the stuff online was wrong. After telling him that all the ones I found said the same thing and that there wasn't anyone out there more dedicated to getting up to their elbows in their vehicles than the Jeep guys and he still didn't want to just sell me the damn part.

Another place wanted $20 + $10 for shipping.

Finally I checked the local dealership and they had it for $13.80 with a 5 day order time.

Here' the part number if anyone else is ever looking for one: 5015222AA

I also found this part number for the Select Trac shifter bezel, but it was listed as obsolete: 55027663
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: