Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cb installation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
provo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: cb installation Reply with quote

i have an 01 wrangler and i just dont know where to put my new cb radio. there doesnt seem to be any room for it any suggestions would be great
thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is velcro'd to the back of the center console. I wanted it out of the way. I run the mic up along the seat when I'm offroad.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you like and how often you use it. For me I mounted my little Uniden Pro510 on the passenger side front console. It's out of the way and accessible. The external speaker is mounted on the driver's side dash just behind the windshield. I can still pull the front seat up for access to the back and it works fine for me. I even mounted my old SBE Sidebander radio there now. Here's an old pic (before some mods) that'll give you the idea of what I did.

Some guys mount their's on the dash, on an overhead (between the winshield and roll bar), driver's side console, behind the console (like ehirner's), and some even hack their dash up to slide the radio in there. I've seen some pretty creative mounts. I use my radio often though, and for me this works okay.

Wink
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats where my CB is mounted, but I hung the remote speaker behind my head from the Roll Cage.
provo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys
i will either find a way to mount it in my dash or i found a pretty cool thing from quadratec that mounts between the roll bar and windshield kinda like an over head center console. well i will figure it out when i get back home in a few weeks
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have my cb mounted where IBTJN's is and also have no problems. I have seen this mount in a few mags and have been thinking of getting the mount from jeepoutfitters.com, it's $23.95, and it mounts above the driver side vent and uses the existing screws on the side of the dash for mounting so theres no holes to drill, it looks pretty clean from the picture. I did however go to the site and cound'nt find it, so there you go...

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got a CB from a friend of mine, but no power harness its a cobra, any idea if i can just buy another power harness? and no antenna, what antenna should i look at? my old CB on my YJ had a 4' antenna that didnt have much flex on trees and whatnot... ive found some 2' and 3' antennas on ebay, are these too short?

thanks!
39.5x16.50R16 pitbull rocker extremes
Homemade Bumpers and rock sliders
check us out at www.tucsonoffroad.net
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
forcecop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a mount for it.[/img]
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbaedc wrote:
i just got a CB from a friend of mine, but no power harness its a cobra, any idea if i can just buy another power harness? and no antenna, what antenna should i look at? my old CB on my YJ had a 4' antenna that didnt have much flex on trees and whatnot... ive found some 2' and 3' antennas on ebay, are these too short?

thanks!

You might be able to pop the top off the radio and solder some new wires in, shouldn’t be difficult.
As for an antenna, I have a 4’ Radio Shack stainless steel whip with a spring in between the antenna and the base for flex.
If range is not a concern, go with the 2' antenna with a universal spring to avoid those pesky trees.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbaedc wrote:

thanks!

You should be able to pick up a new power supply cable at any CB shop or truck stop. Cobra radios are common and they usually have them in stock. If not, you can order one from just about any CB shop online. Walcott is pretty good, but there are ton of others, too.

As far as the antenna goes, I'd never use a 2' antenna. They are extremely narrow banded and tough usually to tune. And indeed their range is very short. Electrically they'll all be 8-1/2 ft (or coiled) to complete a 1/4 wavelength antenna. So the shorter you go the less efficient it becomes. I run a 4' Tiger TSM Superflex with a heavy duty spring. I've beat the heck out of it over the past few years without a problem.

So while you are ordering your power supply cable, pick up a 3' or 4' Wilson flex or silverload. They are a decent performer...but not as good as the TSM Tiger (IMHO). But they are more readily available just about anywhere. You need to try and get the majority of the antenna above the tub though...especially if you go with a base loaded (like TJapex has) for the best performance. Mounting location is everything! And the antenna system is literally about 90% of the overall performance of the system. That is not the place to cut corners. Get a piece of RG8x coax (probably 12'-18' is what they sell) and a decent antenna mount. Make sure the mount has a good quality RF ground (not the same as a DC ground). Tune the antenna and you'll be good to go.

Good luck.
Wink
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTJn is correct on the tuning; I spent about two hours tuning my antenna to get it the best I could. Also, as little as a 1/64 of an inch can literally make a difference in miles on how far you get out.
And size does matter with an antenna, the bigger the better.
Another thing to remember is CB radios are line of site, the less obstacles that are in the way the better. As an example, in town I have a range of about 15 miles; witch is not bad with all the buildings, trees, and other tall stuff around me.
Where I live I have a bunch of fire trails and I was on one of the trails one day and decided to see how far I could go with my radio, keep in mind that I was at 8500ft. (peak of Blue Ridge) when I did this, I talked to someone on Catalina Island, about 90 miles away no problem.
Good luck…

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for all the ideas/replys i found my old 4' fiberglass antenna in my shed that i had on my old CB, i bought the teraflex drivers side taillight mount and installed that, it didnt come with an RF ground but i did ground it DC wise... i dont have an external SWR meter but the CB has a SWR adjustment and a tuning setting from what i can tell, i dont know alot about CBs but i think i got it somewhat where the SWR should be, but when i turn on the CB to transmit/receive no matter what the squelch is at i dont get any sound, i dont know if im transmitting and not receiving or if its not doing either, i live next to a busy freeway and try radio checks on the trucker channel and never get a reply... am i doing something wrong? i know im kindof vague but i dont know very much about this lol

thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbaedc wrote:
thank you for all the ideas/replys i found my old 4' fiberglass antenna in my shed that i had on my old CB, i bought the teraflex drivers side taillight mount and installed that, it didnt come with an RF ground but i did ground it DC wise... i dont have an external SWR meter but the CB has a SWR adjustment and a tuning setting from what i can tell, i dont know alot about CBs but i think i got it somewhat where the SWR should be, but when i turn on the CB to transmit/receive no matter what the squelch is at i dont get any sound, i dont know if im transmitting and not receiving or if its not doing either, i live next to a busy freeway and try radio checks on the trucker channel and never get a reply... am i doing something wrong? i know im kindof vague but i dont know very much about this lol

thanks!

The behind tail light mounts are great but usually require a little more to properly RF ground. Chances are good you aren't hearing anything because of one (or several) of the following reasons:

1.) Bad RF ground (like I said, it's NOT the same as a DC ground)
2.) Bad antenna (broken internal wire)
3.) Bad coax
4.) Improperly installed stud assembly
5.) All of the above

Merely an out of tune antenna you'd still hear stuff because the antenna is likely resonant (or close to it). And I wouldn't trust an internal CB radio (including exports) SWR meter. Sometimes the S-meter itself won't even forward calibrate properly. So if you can't get it to forward calibrate, that is a good indication of a dead short, open circuit, and/or bad S-meter.

Post some close up pics of the mount/stud assembly, and we can tell you if it's installed properly.

Wink
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i dont need a DC ground at all? how do i get an RF ground? just buy an RF ground cable im gonna guess yes? lol heres some pics:

IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp...here's at least the majority of your problem.

Right now you have a dead short. If that is an insulator it's trashed...replace it and don't tighten it down so far. It looks like a lock washer in the pic here though. You can pick up the insulator/isolators from Radio shack or any truck stop for a few bucks.

Here's what the set up you have should look like (notice the plastic/nylon insulator):

The spring you have on here is a light duty spring too...be prepared for it to flop all over the place. It's better than no spring...but I'd probably suggest switching it over to a heavier duty spring eventually. The ground strap you have off the SO-239/PL-259 (coax) connection should be alright provided it leads to a "shiney metal" point. I prefer doing a self tapping screw myself at the ground (counterpoise) point for a quality RF ground. I don't use the type connections on a mobile like you've chosen...but the same end result should happen. Here's an image of my ball mount that should give you the gist of what should occur...no matter what type of stud assembly you have. The only exception would be a "no ground plane antenna" (which don't perform well).

The center lead is insulated from the vehicle, and the ground (shield) is your ground (counterpoise). Shiney metal is your friend on an RF ground.

Let us know how it goes.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: