Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternator died

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mexirican

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Alternator died Reply with quote

Well, it rained here for the first time in 3 months so there was plenty of mud to play in. Everything went great, Didn't get stuck. Didn't break anything. Got a great looking brown paint job. After that, my girlfriend and I went to a graduation party for a kid we know. When we went to leave the party, the Jeep didn't start. Not biggie. The head light switch was left on, I always do that. We jumped it and everything was grand...until it died 15 sec after it started. We jumped it again and left the cables on for a bit but as soon as we took them off, the battery gauge went into the red. It wasn't charging. Had to leave the Cherokee where it was. In the morning, went to Auto Zone and got a new one, $100 pissed . Went and changed it and everything was better again. My question is would mud and/or water getting in the engine compartment kill my alternator? It was covered in water and mud. Not like it was submerged, just sprayed. The mud here was more like big puddles.

FYI - 1990 Cherokee Sport, I-6, 4x4(duh),
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost count of how many times I've seen people have alternator problems after playing in the mud. It's pretty easy to fab up a shield using some 18 or 20 gauge sheet metal and and some screws. It won't completely protect the alternator....but it will keep the majority of the mud away.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mexirican

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!! Was it the mud or the water? I've seen videos of guys dunking their Cherokees in rivers and deep water completely submerging their front ends and nothing ever happening.
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mexirican wrote:
Thanks!!! Was it the mud or the water? I've seen videos of guys dunking their Cherokees in rivers and deep water completely submerging their front ends and nothing ever happening.

Probably the mud getting between the brushes and the sliprings. Water should be no problem, an alternator should work just fine UNDER fresh water for that matter, so long as the water stays out of the bearings.

I hope you didn't trade your old alternator in as a core on a rebuilt- you can probably put a $10 pair of brushes in it, give it a good cleaning, and have a spare. Parts-store rebuilts can be pretty crappy, too, so I always try to get my original alternator fixed at a local starter/alternator shop whenever its possible, even if I have to buy an Autogroan rebuilt to get me home first.
mexirican

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA> thanks for the input but I already got one form Auto Zone. It has the lifetime warranty so i hope im ok.
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mexirican wrote:
HAHA> thanks for the input but I already got one form Auto Zone. It has the lifetime warranty so i hope im ok.

My experience with lifetime warranty rebuilt parts: You'll spend the rest of your lifetime replacing them every few months. Confused

That said, I've also gotten some that were just fine. Its kinda a roll of the dice.
mexirican

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know how that is. my friend has a fox body mustang that he got all replacement parts from Checker and had to do that. I had an old 81 Camaro in highschool that i beat the crap out of and got everythign from Autozone and never had any problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: