Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new toy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: My new toy Reply with quote

Well with the high price of gas I've decided to make a stand and go deeper into debt to stick it to the oil man. Here's what I ended up with, although my Jeep probably seems neglected I'm still going to drive it in bad weather. 15mpg is starting to hurt a bit too much. This thing will get 55mpg on a bad day.

2004 GS500F.

GSXR inspired lines.

487cc of goodness!

This was my graduation gift to myself and as of last saturday I'm no longer a poor college student, I'm just poor. And as one of my friends said: "congratulations to all the grads, you're now just alcoholics." Its only got 2,230 miles on it and has been treated rather well. I stumbled across this for about 3300 dollars.

Along with this I got a really nice cover,
an HJC helmet

And this really kick ass TiMax jacket

I've already been given the bike pep talk by just about everyone I know trying to scare me into riding right. My favorite was about a guy who hit a deer and a piece of his femur exited his body and they had to find it on the road and then put it back in or something like that.

I mountain bike a whole lot and some of the skills have helped me out but I know what a 15mph crash does to flesh so I can imagine how bad a 70mph wreck would be. I've got a ton of respect for the asphalt and the bike so I'm not overly concerned about not riding it right. The only thing I worry about are the other people. And if any of you VA Jeepers with your huge Jeeps see me out on the road, it is NOT ok for you to check ground clearances by seeing if you can run me over and not knock me over!
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you know if I see your ass on the road I will def try to see if you can fit under my jeep without any harm Finger
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get the motorcycle bug in your system, it is impossible to kill. I rode hard for several years and am now unable to due to health issues, but not a day goes by that I don't think about riding again.

The best advice I can give you is......

1. Wear your helmet all the time....even when not required by law.
2. Wear your gear all the time.....it will minimize road rash and you will slide down the road if you ride long enough.
3. Do not drink while riding. Not one beer, not one mixed drink, not anything. Alcohol is involved in about 80% of fatal motorcycle accidents. Don't drink ............anything.........ever.......and don't ride with people who do.
4. Take a motorcycle safety course. You may think your uncle/buddy/brother or whoever, can teach you to ride, but they will not teach you the right way.....take a MC safety course and learn the right wat the first time.
5. Don't drink and ride......wait I already said that but it bears repeating. Do not ride with anyone who drinks either.

The longer I rode, the more picky I became about who I rode with. If I went on a group ride and someone had a beer with lunch, I would just drift off. I always told someone I was leaving, but I didn't make a big deal out of it. But I did leave. You will quickly get to the point that some people will make you nervous.......don't ride with them. It's not worth it.

Just remember that the life you save by riding safely will be your own.

Have fun and ride safe. And I think you made a good choice for a first bike. It should have plenty of power for the highway, it will handle really good, and like you mentioned, it will not use much gas.

That is a nice looking ride!

Uhhhhhh did I mention about not drinking and riding........oh yeh, I guess I did.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with everything Hutch said and yes, nice looking ride. Wink
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any wheely or stoppy pics? How come you didn't model the jacket and helmet for us? Mr. Green
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
Oh you know if I see your ass on the road I will def try to see if you can fit under my jeep without any harm Finger

Yeah, just wait till my mom gets a hold of you after that rofl You might be in worse shape than me.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm all about safety with this thing. I wrecked on my mountain bike once without wearing a helmet and the doctor at the ER that I kind of remember said I would most likely be dead if I had crashed that hard on the road. I always wear a helmet now, even snowboarding, although I wear a cool mil spec Kevlar helmet inspired lid when I snowboard so I can still look cool when I fall on my head.

I won't drink and drive at all on this bike, not at all and I really want to take a motorcycle safety course, they have one at the community college around here but I don't know if I can fit it in within the next month or so. They've got me working a lot at work. Getting two let alone three days off in a row is rare.

I have a lot of friends that talk about wanting to ride with me but we'll see. When I feel like I can handle being out on the real road and not just in my neighborhood I think I'm going to contact an older gentlemen that I know to ride with me, he may not be a safety instructor but he's retired, not crazy, and has many, many years of riding under his belt.

As for modeling, I'm leaving that for the birds. It was easier to get the pics online, who wants to see my ugly mug anyways rofl oh yeah, no trick pics either, I want to live long enough to at least use a little bit of my college education before I dump it all out on the road.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in my mid 40s when I took the MSF Course and had very little MC riding knowledge. There were about 15 of us in the class, all noobs except 1 hardcore biker guy who had been riding for 25 years. He was the only one who failed the class.

Years and years of experience do not necessarily make you a safe rider.

Take the class.........you will learn how to ride correctly.

And have fun too!
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one reason I do not own a bike like that. Every thing I have even ridden/driven I have maxed out the speedo on. Get where I am going with this...
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was told that the local motorcycle safety course was filled until September, although I am going to double check. I know I'm going to take it soon, my plan is to take it within a year from now. I really want to ride before then so I'm just going to have to practice as much as possible.

I also learned that my county has one of the highest fail rates in the local area for the motorcycle road test. So I think I may be skipping to another location. I only plan on riding with the more respectable people I know just because I have friends that do crazy things and I don't want any part of that. I want to stay safe and have enough to worry about with just being on the road and having other drivers around. Plus there is the basic fact that I don't want to tear my bike up.

I like going fast too but I tend to weigh life and death before I do crazy things so I am going to keep it safe. There are many places I want to jeep, and I can't do that dead.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, just remember to use it an you will be fine. Have fun on that thing! There is nothing like riding and until you experience it you will never know.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from my former riding life:

I'm on the left........These were all taken from one trip with a couple of good friends. This was one of the greatest adventures of my life and one I will never forget. We took this trip in July of 05 and the illness I have hit me in Sept. of 05.

You want to make sure you grab for the gusto while you can today, because tomorrow may be too late!
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man thats too bad you can't ride anymore. That ride looks like a blast. What type of bike were you riding. I know I thought about getting a dual sport bike so that I could do some off roading with it but this bike was kind of a steal so I went for it. My friends and I were talking about a multi-day mountain bike trip and it seems like it would be a whole lot better without the pedaling, maybe I need to get a dirt bike now. In that second pic did you fall off? I know I've struck that pose a couple times myself with my mountain bike.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics are from a trip taken riding dirt and Forest Service roads along the Continental Divide from the Canadian Border to Steamboat Springs, CO. And yes I fell in the second picture. I normally did not make a habit of parking the bike that waY LOL.......

It was the 4th or 5th time that day that it spit me off......and there were a couple of more after this one! It was a tough day.

The bike was an 1150 GS BMW. Great FS road bikes, but they are not dirt bikes and it was out of it's element some of the time that day!
viper24242

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how those days go. I was looking at a bmw but decided it was a bit too much bike for me because I think it was a 1100 of some sort. I like the picture of you flying through that stream, looks like you caught a little bit of air.

On a side note, this sounds like a stupid question and besides the answer of "practice more" I'm having a bit of trouble being able to start from a stop of a slope facing up hill. Are there any tips you can give me. I've kind of been trying to hold the bike with back break and slowly coming off it as I give the bike gas and come off the clutch. I don't know if this is the right way but it didn't work all that well.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would practice on a flat surface. Let the clutch out slowly until it catches and then do it again. Once you know exactly where the clutch grabs, you'll have no problem starting off on any hill. When on a hill it's easier to keep stability with both feet on the ground. Try holding the front brake, let the clutch out slow, as soon as it grabs give it a bit of gas and go!
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had my foot on the rear brake when stopped except for the occasional hill that required brakes while stopped. In this case, I applied the rear brake with my foot, gave it a little throttle, and let the clutch out. As orange stated, you will get to know where the friction point is on the clutch quickly. After that it will be second nature!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: