Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timing Cover Oil Seal Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Timing Cover Oil Seal Problem Reply with quote

Ok, I am about to take a sledge hammer to it. I tapped the old oil seal out. I did it with a screw driver from the inside of the cover out. I absolutely can not get the new oil seal in. I laid the timing cover with the gasket side down, cleaned and lubed the sides of the timing cover and lubed the sides of the oil seal. Took a block of wood and tried tapping it in. It will not go in. Now I think I have messed the oil seal up.

It looks like the original oil seal was brass maybe. Then new one is not. I dont know if that makes a difference or not. It came from crown.

I had already gone to advanced auto to buy another seal. I had to by the whole timing gasket kit to get the seal. $17 bucks.

I bought another one, it is made by National. Looks a little different but I am waiting to see what you guys say on the install, "front or back" before I screw this one up too.

It does get tapped in from the outside of the cover correct? The outside lip on the timing cover is at 90 degrees. If you look at the inside of the cover, it has a very small chamfered edge. Shoot. I am not sure. Any ideas, tricks?

I am leaning towards the install from the back of the cover since it has a little chamfered edge. My thoughts are that is to get the seal started into the hole? What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...from the Jeep 1978 Technical Service Manual...

~for the 232 and 258 engines~
"Place Timing Case Cover on engine. Place Timing Case Cover Alignment Tool and Seal Installer in crankshaft opening of cover. (You can use a large socket of equivalent diameter for this)
Install timing cover to block screws and oil pan to cover screws, torque to spec.
Remover cover aligment tool and position replacement oil seal on tool with seal lip facing outward. Apply a light film of Perfect Seal, or equivalent, on outside diameter of seal.
Insert Draw Tool J-9163 into seal installing tool. Tighten nut against tool until tool bottoms against cover."
So you'll have to make certain that the seal is aligned prior to install so when you do install it, it won't go in crooked and leak even more. This press tool may be available at NAPA or elsewhere but it's the best means of installing this yourself

~for the 304, 360 and 401~
"Apply Permatex No. 2 or equivalent to outer surface of the replacement seal.
Install seal using installer J-2656 (which appears to be a hammer drift fitting the outer circumference ot the seal, an impact socket may work but support the timing cover carefully as you're driving this seal into an
aluminum timing cover, you won't want to take a chance cracking the cover.

Best of luck
Confusion says: People with sh!t for brains, shouldn't eat prunes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: