Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New (to me) Jeep, NOOB getting back in to car modding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agudenkauf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: New (to me) Jeep, NOOB getting back in to car modding Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I just bought a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (a ZJ if I've got my terminology right) and I want to get back in to modding cars/trucks. I've been on a motorcycle kick for a little while but I needed another toy to haul the bikes so I figured "hell a jeep would be perfect!"

I've seen a couple of the lifted Grand Cherokees and I like the look - I'm thinking something in the realm of a 2 - 4 inch lift. I don't know much about modding Jeeps, but I do like wheeling and I think I want to head in that direction. Probably wont do any crazy crawling but who knows.

So too my questions. I'm looking for advice, write ups, links, any info at all on "essential" mods and how to go about making this jeep look a little better. Any info at all helps, thanks everyone!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get out the sawzall and start cutting ... Til you are happy with the finished look.. rofl rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
agudenkauf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl rofl rofl rofl

touche Mr. Swamp Boy!

How big is your lift and tires? It's kind of hard to gauge because of the incline, but I think that is about the height I am looking to get to. I've never really gotten into setting up a vehicle for wheelin, so I'm trying to read up on modifying axles/transmissions/ etc.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a 6 or 8 cyl.? What t-case in under your ZJ? What size tires do you plan on running?

welcome
agudenkauf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 5.2 V8. I have no idea what t-case is under it... where the heck do I find that info? I've never had a project where the t-case was an issue.

I'm thinking on running 31's or 33's. I have to check the measurement of the tires on it right now. I think it has a small lift because it doesn't sit as low as most stocks I have seen.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 6.5" of lift and 35" tires..

What is the shift pattern on your transfer case?? Most of us know just by the pattern what t case you are running..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show us a pic of your Jeep and t-case shifter. We'll be able to tell you if there's any lift and which t-case you have.
agudenkauf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the help guys, but I ran into a bigger problem now. Took the jeep on the highway for the first time to head to my family's garage (bout 60 miles away) and by the time I got there I was hearing horrible clanking and rattling from the motor.

The motor sound like it's losing a wrist-pin... So at this point it is cheaper and more efficient for me to get a replacement motor than do a rebuild. So now I'm on the hunt for a motor. pissed jerk-wad sold me a motor he knew was going out... oh well, I'll make it better...
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't hear any of that noise when you test drove it? shock That sucks!

97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0 with cold air intake, Magnaflow muffler/cat, clear corner and tails, custom tire rack
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: