Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

249 to 242 woes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: 249 to 242 woes Reply with quote

Swampy,
I just went and took my jeep over to a different guy's shop to do the 249-242 Transfer Case Swap. This guy only wanted $150 and claimed that he had done many like this before and tells me it willl only take him and his crew 2 hours. Well I heard no phone calls then I got into my friends truck who was taking me to get my vehicle. Immediately when we pull into the parking lot I sense something is wrong. I say to him-was there something wrong with the Input shaft link? Perhaps the number of splines was off?----no the output shaft is too long. He says that I'lll need to either get a new driveshaft or a new transfer case. I have a third option cutting whatever length of the output shaft is needed to get the slip yoke over it. Has anyone else had this problem? What do you think Carl? My ZJ is a 98 5.9 w/a 249 and the case came from a 97 zj V8 with the 242 case.
-David
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Brad S

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a while since I did this... Can you use the shaft from the 249, or is it built to the gears?
The shaft from my 242 was wrong too. It was a different size I remember. I used the shaft from my 249 with the front half of the 249 case and mated it up to the rest of the 242. It would be hard to say without seeing it. You got any pics?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: NOW WITH PICS Reply with quote

Well, swampy and I had been trading messages back and forth for a few weeks now and both of our main concerns were the input shafts- not the output. The guy who was going to install it doesn't want to crack the case for fear of breaking something. I've also seen some pictures of newer model 242's with a rubber boot around one end. I'll post some pictures after midnight. Right now I've got to go to work.
David
Nixt

Here's the Pics Sorry for the quality, I took them after midnight

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
nixt

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also found these types of 242 transfer cases with a boot around the output shaft:

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
nixt

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I guess I found out what my problem was by climbing my big ass up under my jeep for the third time this week (this time with my camera)
PICS:
This first one is of my 249's rear output- it's a female not a male so that's my mistake #1

This one is just of the transfer case:

So what did you guys do? Crack the cases/swap over parts? Order a new drive shaft? What? I do need a little help here people and any help would be appreciated!
David

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a female there is a splined output inside the housing..

If you have doubts take off your drivesaft and slide it onto the new T case..

That should work...

And if you are worried about it fitting.. Measure overall length of 249 and 242 and see what they are..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it absolutely necessary to have that humongous output housing on the 242? Did you guys swap over the parts from the 249 to the 242? Apparently the guys at the shop didn't get to the point of actually removing the 249 from the jeep- they just looked at it and said that the driveshaft was too long. So what's holding the lubrication inside the 242 T-Case I thought it was a slip yoke? So if I remove it from my 249 and hook it up to the 242 won't it drain the fluid from the 249 (which is still in my Jeep and is my only mode of transportation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 249 will loose some fluid when you take off the shaft.. That exposed shaft 242 has a output seal and doesnt count on the shaft to seal it like the open housing type (where the shaft slides into the houseing thru a seal..

YOu shouldnt have to take it off to measure it.. Measureing from the mounting flange to the end of the output shaft on both cases will work to get you a good idea of how long they are ...

Since you have the sealed rear yoke on the 242 case you should be able to drive around in 4wd useing the front shaft ..... Then you will have time to order a new shaft if that is required.. I would say if your overall measurement on the cases is close (less than 1" difference..) it should work..

Now keep in mind that your lift will change your drive shaft length some..

The more lift you have the closer your rear axle gets to the center line.. Unless you have adjustable rear arms..

I would do the work myself.. but if you have to let them do it then have them swap the cases and leave off the rear shaft..

See the tail shaft seal..

Put it in 4 full time and drive it home and try to put the shaft on yourself..

Dont take their word for it..

Just my opinion..

And from the pics it appears that you have the right input shaft on that case..

But like I said before.. you need to have the two cases side by side to check the input shaft lenghts and make sure they are the same..

There are 2 different lengths of input shafts and they are not compatible..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: