Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer Case problems PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Transfer Case problems PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Reply with quote

So I took my DAILY DRIVER TJ out this weekend and worked some little 4 wheeler trails on my friends 200 acre farm. I got in a bind and tried to use my 4 wheel low and when I tried to move it just popped really loud and now it sounds like a gear rattling on a chain when I try to use 4low. I thought maybe I could just not use 4low any more and fix the tcase later but today my jeep is making some gut wrenching noises and I think I've killed something in my ride. So what I'm trying to say is how do I swap my tcase? Does anyone have a link to a really good tech write up on a swap? Is anyone in KY that wants to just come talk me through it? I'm a DIY kinda guy but I've never changed a tcase or really anything this big before.

Its a 97 automatic 4.0. Do they all have the np231?
DOUBLEDUCE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: t case fun Reply with quote

It's not to hard, if you are somewhat of a mechanic. Online 4 x4 parts companies, like quardratec, or 4wd hardware will sell you a reman t case with 4: 1 and a slip yoke elimanator as cheep as fixing yours. the t-case sits on the end of your tranmission, so remove the drive shaft, unbolt the t-case and swap in the new t-case. if you opt for a slip yoke a new drive shaft will have to be bought also. look underneath it now that complacated.
unbolt and bolt, it heavy and air tools help.

Bill
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. I appreciate the help. How do I get the skid plate off? I can get the 6 bolts out of the skid but what is holding up it up? I have not lifted it at all yet so should I worry about the SYE? I'm not going to lift it at all for atleast a year or two (Baby on the way and just bought a fixerupper house.)
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transfer Case problems PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Reply with quote

kirkwood007 wrote:
Do they all have the np231?

All TJs have an NP231 unless it is a Rubicon. Since you have a 4.0 with auto, you need another t-case from a 4.0 with auto trans. The input spline count and length are different depending on engine and transmission combination.

Are you even sure it's a t-case problem? The spider and side gears break in D30 and D35 occasionally and this could certainly be your problem as well with the description of the noise. You may have blown a R&P as well. Who knows??? Blindly swapping a t-case (and taking the other guy's recommendation to spend lots more money on a 4:1 and SYE) would be a huge mistake is that's not the problem.

If you're sure it's the t-case, I would strongly recommend taking your's apart first and figuring out what the problem is.
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I totally agree with you and I don't plan to get the SYE yet or even a new tcase yet. I am going to tear it down and make sure I broke something in there first but as far as it being the front diff.... I have complete use of 2H and 4H but no 4L. It even makes some noise intermittently in 2H. I really think its the tcase but like you said, I'm gonna tear it open and make sure. This will sound like a real newb question but what is the spider gear? Would that be broken if I could use 2H and 4H?
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkwood007 wrote:
This will sound like a real newb question but what is the spider gear? Would that be broken if I could use 2H and 4H?

The best way I can describe the spider and side gears is they are the ones inside your differential gear carrier that the axle shafts slide into. From the additional info you provided in your last post, I'd be concentrating on your t-case as well. It doesn't like like an axle/differential problem. Good luck.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkwood007 wrote:
Thanks man. I appreciate the help. How do I get the skid plate off? I can get the 6 bolts out of the skid but what is holding up it up? I have not lifted it at all yet so should I worry about the SYE? I'm not going to lift it at all for atleast a year or two (Baby on the way and just bought a fixerupper house.)

Here you go. Have fun. Wink
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/231sye/1.php
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tech link but it helps very little for the skid plate. I kept pullin bolts and got it all the way off. I tore the crap out of one of the nuts but its all out and has been at my buddies for almost 2 weeks now. I'm about to go tear it down myself so I can get it back on the road. When I pick it up I can hear parts clanking around. I think its the teeth from the low gear. Thanks for the help everyone. It sucks to be driving the pick up all the dang time but its kinda fun working on the broken jeep.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it's a damaged shift fork.
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally tore the thing down today and found out that the input bearing is completely torn to shreds. I have no clue how a bearing could get so torn with out some sort of hard blow to the case but it was terrible. Now the question is should I pay 25 for just the bearing or should I spring for the $113 overhaul kit that comes with all of the bearings, snap rings, seals and covers, rubber thingy's on the forks, and some sort of rtv or other type of goo. Give me some input guys! Has anyone had a input bearing go bad then the others be totally fine for years after? One more vital piece of info.... I had tons of water in there. Any clue how I can water proof it since I do some creek riding?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go with the whole kit, you might as well while you're in there. The water is most likely the cause of the bearing failure.
To prevent water from getting inside: make sure both front and rear output seals do not leak, apply a good seal when reassambling the case halves, check the speedo sensor o-ring for proper sealing, check for leaks at the shift rod entrance, reseal the 4WD indicator switch, make sure the breather hose is sealed tight at the case and that the hose goes up high enough to stay out of the creeks!

kirkwood007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange your a life saver. Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna spring for the big kit tomorrow. I might even install it all tomorrow night. Its my one year anniversary and hopefully my wife will let me out! HAHA! I can't wait much longer for the jeep to be back on the road. Do you know what the tolerances are for the case itself around the input bearing? It got eaten up just a little where the bearing sits but not bad enough for me to want to spend 230 on a new housing. I'm gonna check the local junk yards for some cheapo's but I might not replace it if I can't make the right price happen.
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have the tcase almost re-assembled. I do have a couple of things that aren't in my case that are in the exploded view of the tcase. Does anyone know where I can get the bushings that go before and between the shift forks? My overhaul kit didnt' come with them and I'm afraid to use the tcase without the little bastards.
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my tcase is back in the jeep and its working really well but the damn speedo doesn't work. I pulled the speedo gear and the plug and its all correct. When I put the tcase back in the jeep I had 3 plugs dangling but there are only two plugs in the case. So on the edit here I'm gonna sound retarded. The 3rd plug is for the o2 sensor. Still no speedo though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: