Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake rotor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Brake rotor Reply with quote

Does anyone have slotted and or slotted and dimpled brake rotors?

I'm a machinist, and can program a cnc to slot and dimple the rotors on my TJ. or I can just buy them.
I'm just curious if doing this will make my TJ do summer sults braking so hard, or will be worth my time?

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I don't think that simply drilling your rotors will increase your braking force greatly. It will should help with heat reduction and brake fade due to heat, but will not result in a hugely noticeable increase in stopping power.......
DOUBLEDUCE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: brake rotors Reply with quote

The purpose for slots, and drilled rotor is to let the gas out, when you step on the petal, and the brake compress, gas is formed between the pads and rotors. buy slotted and drilled rotors don't do it yourself, its a balancing issue. if you can balance them also then do it. and they work great. when you gear your jeep down in 4 low i can hardly stop my jeep. So i put big wilwood 13" rotors and new caliper, slotted and drilled up front with ford explorer 12 " in the rear.

Bill
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Brake rotor Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
Does anyone have slotted and or slotted and dimpled brake rotors?

I'm a machinist, and can program a cnc to slot and dimple the rotors on my TJ. or I can just buy them.
I'm just curious if doing this will make my TJ do summer sults braking so hard, or will be worth my time?

Don't bother.

Wranglers don't see the forces required to make dimple, slotted, or drilled rotors worthwhile. Mostly, these spaces just provide places for dirt and debris to hide after 4-wheeling and chew up your brake pads. In addition, less metal in the rotor causes them to heat up faster and potentially warp quicker.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have slotted rotors before at a suspension shop I use to work at, and didn't find it hard to do. But you are correct about balancing the rotors, and as many rotors I have done for other people, I have yet to do a set for my self, nor I have ever driven a vehicle with these type of rotors.
This my daily driver, so I'm not concerned about dirt getting in the pads or the slots on the rotors, besides the pressure of the gasses emitted by the rotors will keep the dirt and other contaminants out of the slots.
I do drive in stop and go traffic and I need good break performance. I do have carbon metallic pads, and they’re a big improvement over the standard breaks pads, I just want / need more...

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
I have slotted rotors before at a suspension shop I use to work at, and didn't find it hard to do. But you are correct about balancing the rotors, and as many rotors I have done for other people, I have yet to do a set for my self, nor I have ever driven a vehicle with these type of rotors.
This my daily driver, so I'm not concerned about dirt getting in the pads or the slots on the rotors, besides the pressure of the gasses emitted by the rotors will keep the dirt and other contaminants out of the slots.
I do drive in stop and go traffic and I need good break performance. I do have carbon metallic pads, and they’re a big improvement over the standard breaks pads, I just want / need more...

If you know everything about the modified rotors, why did you ask?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wanted to know if any one had them on a jeep, and if they do, what could I expect, as I said before I HAVE NOT driven anything with slotted rotors, therefore I DON'T know what they feel like...do ya get it now???

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
I was wanted to know if any one had them on a jeep, and if they do, what could I expect, as I said before I HAVE NOT driven anything with slotted rotors, therefore I DON'T know what they feel like...do ya get it now???

They don't feel any different and make virtually no measurable improvement in a Wrangler's braking. Hence my recommendation not to bother. You've cited all the theory you want to believe and had already made your decision before you ever asked the question.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's a racing application, you will not see any improvement in stopping power. As Hutch stated, crossdrilled and/or slotted rotors allow for improved cooling and less brake fade at sustained high speed. When you are doing 180mph and need to slow down to 30mph in a short distance to hit that hairpin corner or are using the brakes to help a stock car doing 190 mph set the front end and turn left, you need to do everything you can to dissipate heat.

On a Jeep it's really a waste of money (or time in this case). Just get quality brand, standard rotors.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polar01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine on my car eat pads like crazy. The only reason I would put them on my Jeep now is that they would look bitchin. Sometimes that's reason enough. It's your money, time, and your Jeep. I'm putting them on mine after the 350 swap, as I imagine I will be travelling considerabley faster at times than the 4-popper. And I live in a city with lots of sudden stops. Can't hurt.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of the pads wearing any faster, it's something to think about though…
Stop and go traffic is the main reason for wanting to do this, and as you mentioned,”looking bitchen” is important too.
I do realize that a Jeep is not a purpose built race car, but anything I can do to make it better, or safer and for me and my family, I’m all for it.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Polar01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely man. The increased inertia of larger tires, steel wheels, and possibly internal beadlocks, make for quite a bit of unsprung weight to clamp up from a decent speed. Plus the added weight of all the cool stuff we put on our Jeeps. Anything I could do to make my Jeep safer for myself and others in front of me, however slight, would be worth it just for the peace of mind. Some quality brake lines help too, gives a firmer feel, not the squishy stock feel. I used Kevlar/Teflon on my car and it made a noticeable difference. JKS makes what look like nice ones for Jeeps, I'll be trying those when I upgrade mine.

My car used to be driven very aggresively, I used to autocross and run it at the dragstrip, so when I say "eats pads like crazy", what I actually meant was that "I beat the living piss out of it, and the brakes were a constant concern". They should survive much longer on a Jeep. Hopefully.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do slotted, drilled, etc rotors because you want better brakes, look here. If you want slotted, drilled, etc rotors because they "look bitchin" then don't bother clicking this link.

http://www.vancopbs.com/product_p/dkj1000.htm

Those rotor upgrades do nothing to fix the problems with the Wrangler brakes. The knuckle and caliper design lead to gouges in the sliders and prevent the caliper from sliding laterally as designed. Just as troubling, is the flex seen in the slider arms under heavy braking. You've also got single piston calipers that do not apply even pressure over the pad and can lead to uneven contact between pad and rotor. Vanco's system fixes all of these.

Last edited by ehirner on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polar01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's a nice setup! Not a bad price either... I'll try those when I upgrade. No one would see bitchin' rotors behind steelies anyway. hahaha.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these EBC rotors, with there green stuff pads.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQJeepQQWranglerQQEBCQQBrake_DiscQQ20022006QQE35GD7204.html

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: