Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'92 Jeep XJ Electrical Starting Problems, Pump Delay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dramamine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: '92 Jeep XJ Electrical Starting Problems, Pump Delay Reply with quote

This trouble started in cold weather only...now it still does it but not as bad as when it was winter time. Here's the specifics: I turn the power on, and don't hear the fuel pump engage. Of course it won't start until you hear it prime in the back of the car. I can do a few things: I can just leave the power turned on and wait, or I can turn the power on-off-on-off-on and THEN wait (not sure if the second one makes a difference but I think it does). After waiting up to 5 minutes (way more in cold weather) you can hear something traveling from the front of the car to the back, but it takes a very long time and it ticks along. When it gets to the fuel tank you can hear it prime like a normal car does when you turn just the power on, except it stutters this sound a few times (ex: wh-wh-wh-wherrrr). As it's doing this, what's interesting is that the check engine light flickers on and off with the stuttering, as well as the "maintenance req'd" light in the "dummy light" panel. Sounds electrical to me.
Yes, we've already taken it to 2 mechanics who can't figure it out and threw parts at us. We replaced the relay AND fuel pump. Like I said, sounds like an electrical quirk...

'92 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Laredo Chrysler
6 Cylinder
4WD
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hot wire the pump and see if it starts up right away . (eg positve wire from battery to the positive on the pump and put a ground wire on there . clue the small gage wire is just for the gage . look in a Haynes manual for what one is positive , mine its the lighter colored one -is black or brown or something .

you replaced the filter right ? right ?
Dramamine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know how to hot wire..how exactly do i got about that and where (very specifically) do i find the two wires to do it? would this solve my problem you think? or will it just temporarily get the pump priming right away.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a little connector going to the fuel tank about a foot long . there is a plug , undoo it . you want the one going to the tank . there is three wires on the plug a small one (signal) and two other's a dark one and a orange or red i believe dark one shove a wire in there and hook it to bear metal . the orange or red one goes to the positive side of the battery . electricity isn't that scary you wont die . don't let the positive one touch the car at all .

not a fix , just says if the pump or the wiring to the pump is the problem , soon as you hook them up it should humm

fuel filter ??? please say you changed it .
Dramamine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may try that. right now i'm looking at stuff with my PCM.
yes the fuel filter is fine, but listen, that has nothing to do
with the problem. we've taken it to two mechanics and the
car IS getting fuel. once i can get it started, it'll go for all
day usually. its something electrical that isn't making the
pump "actuate" right away. appreciate the suggestion though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: