Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The infamous "Jeep Wave"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polar01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: The infamous "Jeep Wave" Reply with quote

I'm assuming 99% of you out there wave at other Jeeps.

I'm experiencing a disturbance in our "wave" community here in the Murder City.

I'm on my 3rd Jeep - 2 CJ7's and my TJ, and i'm aware that -for example- if a CJ pilot waves back to a TJ, he only has to hold up one finger (hopefully not the middle one), and if he waves at you first you're supposed to return the wave whole-handed. At least that's the way it was when I lived in the Pacific Northwest. Those guys out there are mighty proud of their flatfenders and CJ's, and that's cool.

Around here, i'm getting odd treatment from the JK folks. I wave at a JK driver, and they don't wave back. Alright, maybe they were'nt looking. Try another, nope. Repeat as necessary. I see alot of Jeeps every single day here, and the only reason to own a Jeep in my opinion, is that you're an enthusiast. The ride sucks, bad gas mileage, underpowered, drafty, the list goes on. So you've got to love your Jeep, right? You look at almost every other Jeep you see, the other driver is usually looking too, so you wave. Not rocket science.

I'm starting to think that people here are looking at the JK as a "lifestyle accessory", like a Range Rover, or an H2/H3, or an FJ Cruiser, and are not off-road enthusiasts. But they want to look like one. Unsettling trend.

I'm not calling out all JK owners, just making an observation.

So i'm not waving at a JK again unless he waves first. Then he gets one finger. Booyah.
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to completely agree with you, i thought from the very start that they were just people that wanted to look like jeepers but thats as far as it goes, i also do not wave at them, personaly when i first saw the 4 door model i thought it was a disgrace to jeepers...
39.5x16.50R16 pitbull rocker extremes
Homemade Bumpers and rock sliders
check us out at www.tucsonoffroad.net
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come to learn the same thing. I really am disturbed by this new "luxury" jeep. Its a shame that all these family types are making it their little commuter vehicle and never even take the top down. I have to disagree about them being a disgrace. I have seen a couple true enthusiasts get a hold of these new 4 door jobs and really make a mean looking trail rig out of them. My wife wants one and if I get a chance I'm gonna lift it, double the rubber under it and get some mean looking safari doors on it.
Polar01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad i'm not the only one. Ever since the 4 door version, it's the new Land Rover Discovery around here, but at half the price. Soccer-mom style, but maybe in time they'll get the itch. Naaah. Probabaly not.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first JK I saw on the road I gave a wave and got one back, but I do get that look of "do I know you?" From the JK crowd more than the rest. I am witness to a couple of JK getting dirty here in SoCal, so there not all posers.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's about 2 other lifted grands in my area and if we see each other we give a wave. Once every six months I might get a wave from a guy in a wrangler but thats about it. Kinda makes me sad. Thats why I like it when I'm on my motorcycle because even guys on trikes give a wave. Doesn't really matter what type of bike you have just sometimes the guys on the high dollar customs or harleys seem a little half hearted waving to us sporties....
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
aalb1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By any chance does anybody listen to the Freebeer and Hotwings Show? (freebeerandhotwings.com)... Yea I know stupid name right? They think so too.

Well anyway one guy on the show just got a Jeep and they were talking about not doing the "Stupid Jeep Wave." Well low and behold... He's now doing the Jeep wave!

My wife drives the Jeep most of the time (only put 10k on in the last 3 years) and she never does the wave. We try to drive my civic as much as possible since it gets 43mpg. So when I hop in the Jeep and get into Jeep Driving Mode I try to remember to do the wave... I hardly get any waves back. Confused
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call the 4 door Wranglers "Jeemers" for obvious reason.

At least for me the emerging of the 4D JK's marked the end of Jeep as I knew it.

I work at the Best Western here in my little high elevation ski town so I see and deal with more than my fair share of tourists. A few weeks ago we got about 3 feet of snow over night so many of the guests were stranded. While snow blowing the walk ways I saw an '05 (or close to that year) Liberty thing wearing chains on it's rear wheels spinning them and still struggling to make it out of the parking lot. Why?.... Aren't they using 4X4? Surely it had 4X4. Right!? ?? Surely the T-case wasn't damaged, the Jeep was brandnew. Right? I had to investigate so I walked over to the struggling Jeep, tapped on the window (scared the lady half to death, obviously she wasn't a local) she rolled the window down and I asked her if she needed help getting out of the parking lot. Literally in tears she said, "Oh please!" I said, "This is a four wheel drive right?" She said, "Yes, I think so, but I have never used it before and I don't know how." My heart sank..... I pointed to the lever and said "pull that up." She did so and oh so easily drove out of the parking lot.

I was shocked, amazed and completely dumbfounded!

It's people like that who spend 30K on a "Jeep" because it looks cute (In the Liberty's case) and so that they can where a Jeep hat and buy a Jeep key chain that was made in China.

Now back to the JK's... Unfortunately it does seem (to me anyways) that the new Jeeps are becoming more of a fashion statement (such as an H2) than an enthusiasts key to outdoor fun, adventure and Jeepin'.

Is there anyway to change that trend? I doubt it.

JEEP as we knew it. R.I.P.

Tim

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
Usemy3rdArm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had my jeep in Massachusetts for 4 yrs then moved to ohio and been here for 2yrs now and its the same thing for me all the wranglers wave except for the rubicons, and all the new body style wranglers its like there to good to wave haha
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too live in a high elevation town, A couple weeks ago we also got a lot of snow. As I'm driving through town with ease, I saw a brand new 4 door Wrangler having trouble?! This Wrangler didn't even have plates yet. It was lifted and had 33's, I went up to them (family of 4) and asked whats if he needed help, he replied it's 2wd, then glared at his wife, we should have baught the 4wd. He promptly got out and put his chains on.
As I walked away he was cursing at his wife...poor chap.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make 2WD Wranglers!?

That's a disgrace...

Tim

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
FARMER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at them as jeeps that will be taken care of and serviced properly that I can pick up fairly cheap in 5 years.
unforgiven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point there farmer.

in 06 i got my 04 unlimited with only 14000 kms (bout 7k miles??).

guy leased it for his wife, she dint like it so it sat in the garage for the most part.

it WAS still all shiny, factory stickers everywhere underneath when i bought it. funny what a few more kms (at 31 k now) and a couple offroad trips will do. rust is starting to appear. ouch.

but, i don't think even a sweet deal would get me into a 4 dr, it just seems like blasphemy to me. my lwb tj is great tho.

just needs a 360.
ZJDAB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Agreements giving Reply with quote

I see the same thing.

Lived in Florida and alot of the Commanders and grand Cherokees attract a different type of person.

I love wranglers and I do get the wave....although I am 4X2. I do like the idea of fishing and sitting at the edge of a lake on the roof. It is a different type of vehicle these Jeeps. I cant imagine myself buying ANYTHING else.

We are getting a older Wrangler for some serious mudding and trails here in maryland.....

Luxury is nice my Grand Cherokee....but I think there is enough plastic in the interior and ruggedness in the drive that keeps people from taking it too seriously as a luxury car.

Wouldnt It be Nice if JEEP bought itself from under Chrysler??

We should find out how much it costs and start and investment firm to protect Jeep.
dustyrhodes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well hows this for you, i just bought a jk after driving a little speed machine for a while. absolutely love it, gone off road, nothing serious just some hills and crap at my dads farm, take the top pieces off all the time. and quite frankly i do the wave all the time, and i rarely get them back ! wtf ! especially seem to get hate from cj owners, basically anything before 06.
although that is not true for everyone, just seems the young guys and im a young guy !

WTF the wave was one of the reasons i got it i want to be a part of the community i never had that with my other rides.

also i must say that i get a lot more looks from girls in this then i did in my 320hp to the tits with bolt-ons mazdaspeed, i mean stared down with a smile its f'ing awesome !

so i guess it balances out in the end

but seriously wtf, also is it because its a four door ?
i have been driving friends jeeps for a while, unlcle had them and quite frankly i think 2 door owners are just jealous !
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: